Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Labour suspends MP Jared O'Mara after online comments Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    MP Jared O'Mara has been suspended from the Labour Party, shadow chancellor, John McDonnell has said.
    Labour launched an investigation on Tuesday into claims the MP made misogynistic and homophobic remarks.

The Sheffield Hallam MP, who was elected this year, apologised for remarks made online in 2002 and 2004, but denies the more recent allegations.

He has faced calls from Conservatives and some Labour MPs to be suspended by the party.

You can read more here.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly the whole "scandal" is a joke. I didn't even vote for him but its just ridiculous. Has anyone actually read any of the comments? You need cherry pick hard for it to be considered homophobic.

The Girls Aloud thing? 22 year old talk and irrelevant.

The girl who came forward saying he called her a "ugly *****"..... so what it doesnt matter at all....moreover has anyone from the media ever been to a nightclub/pub and been drunk? I once slept on some guys front door step when i was wasted but it doesn't mean i love to go around sleeping on peoples doorsteps or that im a doorstep fetishist. She just wanted to get on TV.

Jolie stuff, oh my god who the hell cares, im sure Angelina Jolie is distraught. Also like the guy from Guido Fawkes has never said anything like that, yeah ill believe that when unicorns fly past my window, my days i hate the self righteous.

The long and short of it is that the only difference between Jared O'Mara and everyone else is he is now an MP so what he said matters and is now subject to scrutiny from the self righteous apparently. The only difference between him and the other older MP's is that the internet wasn't around when they said stupid stuff.

If ive learned just one thing its that ill never want to become an MP if this nonsense actually matters. Honestly politics in this country is a joke and they wonder why there is such apathy towards politics in this country when the media and the politicians make such a **** storm over what effectively amounts to naff all.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Djtoodles)
    Honestly the whole "scandal" is a joke. I didn't even vote for him but its just ridiculous. Has anyone actually read any of the comments? You need cherry pick hard for it to be considered homophobic.

The Girls Aloud thing? 22 year old talk and irrelevant.

The girl who came forward saying he called her a "ugly *****"..... so what it doesnt matter at all....moreover has anyone from the media ever been to a nightclub/pub and been drunk? I once slept on some guys front door step when i was wasted but it doesn't mean i love to go around sleeping on peoples doorsteps or that im a doorstep fetishist. She just wanted to get on TV.
    The Girls Aloud comment he made was not the only comment at that time, nor the worst of them - at the end of the day, if you're in the public eye you should conduct yourself with that in mind; not to mention that it's hardly a run of the mill set of posts anyway.

Most people have been drunk and in a pub or club, yes. What most have not done is call someone an 'ugly *****'; you don't get a free pass for things like that just because you're drunk, and nor should you. Moreso the issue here is that that was the broadcastable part; there could well be consdierably worse that was not able to be broadcast, and in it's own right it's still not an excusable thing.

Jolie stuff, oh my god who the hell cares, im sure Angelina Jolie is distraught. Also like the guy from Guido Fawkes has never said anything like that, yeah ill believe that when unicorns fly past my window, my days i hate the self righteous.

The long and short of it is that the only difference between Jared O'Mara and everyone else is he is now an MP so what he said matters and is now subject to scrutiny from the self righteous apparently. The only difference between him and the other older MP's is that the internet wasn't around when they said stupid stuff.

If ive learned just one thing its that ill never want to become an MP if this nonsense actually matters. Honestly politics in this country is a joke and they wonder why there is such apathy towards politics in this country when the media and the politicians make such a **** storm over what effectively amounts to naff all.
    It's not, however, naff all. It's not as if he was making an number of generally acceptable comment that were unacceptable just because he's an MP, they were offensive comments that would have had backlash if a regular person posted them too, the only thing that changed was the scale that was reached by them. Everyone else would have had some level of backlash if they said those things, but the vast majority don't express views of that nature, nor in that way,
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You could at least have linked the Guido article rather than the BBC one

ReputationRep:
    I laughed when i read he made homophobic comments because I thought he was gay
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You could at least have linked the Guido article rather than the BBC one
    My apologies, I happened to be on BBC News at the time
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    MP Jared O'Mara has been suspended from the Labour Party, shadow chancellor, John McDonnell has said.
    Labour launched an investigation on Tuesday into claims the MP made misogynistic and homophobic remarks.

The Sheffield Hallam MP, who was elected this year, apologised for remarks made online in 2002 and 2004, but denies the more recent allegations.

He has faced calls from Conservatives and some Labour MPs to be suspended by the party.

You can read more here.
    Jesus Christ
    they should just get rid of them if they want to sooooo badly.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatsAGoodOne349)
    Jesus Christ
    they should just get rid of them if they want to sooooo badly.
    He has been suspended now, if that's what you mean?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    He has been suspended now, if that's what you mean?
    yeah
    just a generalised reply tbf

ReputationRep:
    He looks like sloth from The goonies. Fat too yet he abused other fat people :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    political correctness is a mental illness.

It's irrelevant if some comments were made in 2002.

ReputationRep:
    The Girls Aloud comment he made was not the only comment at that time, nor the worst of them - at the end of the day, if you're in the public eye you should conduct yourself with that in mind; not to mention that it's hardly a run of the mill set of posts anyway.

Most people have been drunk and in a pub or club, yes. What most have not done is call someone an 'ugly *****'; you don't get a free pass for things like that just because you're drunk, and nor should you. Moreso the issue here is that that was the broadcastable part; there could well be consdierably worse that was not able to be broadcast, and in it's own right it's still not an excusable thing.

It's not, however, naff all. It's not as if he was making an number of generally acceptable comment that were unacceptable just because he's an MP, they were offensive comments that would have had backlash if a regular person posted them too, the only thing that changed was the scale that was reached by them. Everyone else would have had some level of backlash if they said those things, but the vast majority don't express views of that nature, nor in that way,
    Dont take this the wrong way but that comment is less realistic and more self promoting. Basically I could easily take the same stance as you but I would be a massive hypocrite and I suspect you are too at some level. I also suspect that most of the politicians condemning his comments are being hypocritical too but such is the nature of politicians these days. It easy to preach when no one cares about what you said 15 years ago.

This idea that he was in the public eye 15 years ago, which he was not, which is when the GA and other comments were made is silly frankly. Even Angela Rayner has said as such. Not a set of run of the mill posts? Have you ever seen a youtube comments section :L.

No, what they have done is call people much much much much much worse. Honestly if "ugly *****" was the worst thing I heard on an avg night out I would be shocked. I personally have been the recipient of much worse, I have friends who have been the recipient of much worse and in one instance it wasn't even on a night out, it was a drunken 19 year old women in middle of College without warning or provocation, who obviously had too many beers for lunch and you should have heard the stuff she said about my friend who her anger was directed too, "buck teeth ugly mother ****er" was one my favourite lines she used. You understand what alcohol does yes? Is the anecdote about the lady in college a fair representation of her? No of course it isn't lol she was clearly under the influence. For me or anyone to judge her based on that is silly and its more about oneself feel better than any accurate assessment of the intoxicated individual. if people were themselves when drunk then there wouldn't be such a thing as being under the influence or drunk and disorderly. You honestly might as well judge someone by what colour jumper they are wearing.

You say that but the backlash only started once he became an MP, so that doesn't seem to hold water. No white knights gaves the slightest care when he was a nobody, but when he becomes a somebody all the self-promoting white night ass holes crawl out of the woodwork. Ill let u into a secret no one really cares what he put, none of the labour, tory or libdems give a toss, the only reason they are voicing their opinions on the matter is one of two reasons a) that not saying anything would hurt their position or b) they think by saying something they can improve their position. If the Media had not jumped on it like a dog in heat they wouldn't have even batted an eyelid.

Is he homophobic? No. Is he a racist? No. Is he misogynist? No.

Outside of the nightclub incident which is trivial given the location/situation (which he denies anyway, and she looks like the sort to say stuff for 5 mins of fame), nothing he said was directed and in those cases the offence was taken not given. Silly, maybe, purposely offensive, no. People need to stop being such professionally offended white knights (most of whom are pretending anyway to push their own agendas) and take the comments for what they were, that is to say random crap people talk about, they meant nothing at the time, they mean nothing years later, they wont mean anything in a years time in short they are just meaningless.

Anyone pretending to be offended and appalled are doing so with the sole purpose of putting themselves on a pedestal to further their own agendas with some easy ammunition, nothing more nothing less.

Its very hypocritical to be honest, verbally attacking someone who they perceive to have verbally attacked someone. Have you even looked at the comments from the avg people who are against him especially on sites like Guido Fawkes? They are pure hate in words and these are the same people who are accusing him of this and that yet they are doing to him what they are supposedly disgusted by him doing to others. The hypocrisy is very real.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who is part of the LGBT community and in favour of the Labour party, I actually found it quite shocking to hear someone from that party making "homophobic remarks".

Even though that is sort of upsetting, it won't doesn't change my opinion of the party

ReputationRep:
    I thought the pick was when he said he'd have to resign if he were a Tory MP, but because he's Labour it's alright.

In fairness, I find some of the older comments silly but not horrendous in themselves, but they do speak to a wider context. I mean, the story from a few months ago where he called a woman an ugly ***** and got her kicked out of a bar...

What a charmer.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Dont take this the wrong way but that comment is less realistic and more self promoting. Basically I could easily take the same stance as you but I would be a massive hypocrite and I suspect you are too at some level. I also suspect that most of the politicians condemning his comments are being hypocritical too but such is the nature of politicians these days. It easy to preach when no one cares about what you said 15 years ago.

This idea that he was in the public eye 15 years ago, which he was not, which is when the GA and other comments were made is silly frankly. Even Angela Rayner has said as such. Not a set of run of the mill posts? Have you ever seen a youtube comments section :L.

No, what they have done is call people much much much much much worse. Honestly if "ugly *****" was the worst thing I heard on an avg night out I would be shocked. I personally have been the recipient of much worse, I have friends who have been the recipient of much worse and in one instance it wasn't even on a night out, it was a drunken 19 year old women in middle of College without warning or provocation, who obviously had too many beers for lunch and you should have heard the stuff she said about my friend who her anger was directed too, "buck teeth ugly mother ****er" was one my favourite lines she used. You understand what alcohol does yes? Is the anecdote about the lady in college a fair representation of her? No of course it isn't lol she was clearly under the influence. For me or anyone to judge her based on that is silly and its more about oneself feel better than any accurate assessment of the intoxicated individual. if people were themselves when drunk then there wouldn't be such a thing as being under the influence or drunk and disorderly. You honestly might as well judge someone by what colour jumper they are wearing.

You say that but the backlash only started once he became an MP, so that doesn't seem to hold water. No white knights gaves the slightest care when he was a nobody, but when he becomes a somebody all the self-promoting white night ass holes crawl out of the woodwork. Ill let u into a secret no one really cares what he put, none of the labour, tory or libdems give a toss, the only reason they are voicing their opinions on the matter is one of two reasons a) that not saying anything would hurt their position or b) they think by saying something they can improve their position. If the Media had not jumped on it like a dog in heat they wouldn't have even batted an eyelid.

Is he homophobic? No. Is he a racist? No. Is he misogynist? No.

Outside of the nightclub incident which is trivial given the location/situation (which he denies anyway, and she looks like the sort to say stuff for 5 mins of fame), nothing he said was directed and in those cases the offence was taken not given. Silly, maybe, purposely offensive, no. People need to stop being such professionally offended white knights (most of whom are pretending anyway to push their own agendas) and take the comments for what they were, that is to say random crap people talk about, they meant nothing at the time, they mean nothing years later, they wont mean anything in a years time in short they are just meaningless.

Anyone pretending to be offended and appalled are doing so with the sole purpose of putting themselves on a pedestal to further their own agendas with some easy ammunition, nothing more nothing less.

Its very hypocritical to be honest, verbally attacking someone who they perceive to have verbally attacked someone. Have you even looked at the comments from the avg people who are against him especially on sites like Guido Fawkes? They are pure hate in words and these are the same people who are accusing him of this and that yet they are doing to him what they are supposedly disgusted by him doing to others. The hypocrisy is very real.
    It's not self promoting, it's a general stance that most people don't make sexist and homphobic comments, which they don't - granted, things such as YouTube comments are an exception to this, but are we really trying to justify an MP making those kind of comments because trolls also make them? For me personally, and I suspect for most people, it's not remotely hypocritical to condemn the comments he's made; they are somewhat appalling, and certainly not the kind of thing that an everyman posts. People may not care what I, or indeed many others, have said 15 years ago, but whether people care shouldn't be the justification for what you post, it doesn't make it okay just because you're reaching a smaller audience.

I entirely understand what alcohol does, but it's still not justification for insulting and offending people. The fact that the vast majority can drink without shouting abuse at random people just compounds this, being drunk is not, and never will be an excuse. And yes, people can and do say a lot worse, but again, is that really how we're classifying things now? Doing offensive things shouldn't be classified by whether other people have done worse, because they always have, but it should instead be looked on as an individual action.

I'm not sure why that was phrased as a disagreement when we're essentially saying the same, that people care more once he has more reach? Which is a reasonable stand point, once he becomes a 'somebody' he has reach to more people, and should act in a way that matches this. And realistically yes, they do care what he said, or we wouldn't be in this situation in the first place. If the comments could be more justified, they would have been already by this point.

It's not just random crap people say, and nor should it be taken that way given his position. Are you really arguing we should have MPs that make derogatory comments towards women? because that's not the kind of thing that's going to step us forward in the slightest, and it's not an attitude that should be generally acceptable regardless of someone's position.

Naturally some people will be going about it in the wrong way, and insulting him, which is also a fairly ridiculous standpoint. But objecting to his actions in general isn't a verbal attack or a hypocritical stance, especially given there's justification for having a viewpoint opposed to his.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's an interesting case to note - this is one of the first times I am aware of where someone has been in trouble politically for things they put online when they were much younger and before they maybe had any political aspirations. I feel we're going to start seeing more of that in the near future, as those who grew up with the internet and social media start to make their way into politics. A lot of future MPs and cabinet ministers are probably ****posting at this very moment.

I am a bit worried that something he said well over a decade ago has been dragged up like this, I'm worried it could set a precedent. On the other hand, it might become so widespread that people stop caring and those kind of stories lose their effect, due to pretty much everyone having done something similar at some point.

ReputationRep:
    It's not self promoting, it's a general stance that most people don't make sexist and homphobic comments, which they don't - granted, things such as YouTube comments are an exception to this, but are we really trying to justify an MP making those kind of comments because trolls also make them? For me personally, and I suspect for most people, it's not remotely hypocritical to condemn the comments he's made; they are somewhat appalling, and certainly not the kind of thing that an everyman posts. People may not care what I, or indeed many others, have said 15 years ago, but whether people care shouldn't be the justification for what you post, it doesn't make it okay just because you're reaching a smaller audience.

I entirely understand what alcohol does, but it's still not justification for insulting and offending people. The fact that the vast majority can drink without shouting abuse at random people just compounds this, being drunk is not, and never will be an excuse. And yes, people can and do say a lot worse, but again, is that really how we're classifying things now? Doing offensive things shouldn't be classified by whether other people have done worse, because they always have, but it should instead be looked on as an individual action.

I'm not sure why that was phrased as a disagreement when we're essentially saying the same, that people care more once he has more reach? Which is a reasonable stand point, once he becomes a 'somebody' he has reach to more people, and should act in a way that matches this. And realistically yes, they do care what he said, or we wouldn't be in this situation in the first place. If the comments could be more justified, they would have been already by this point.

It's not just random crap people say, and nor should it be taken that way given his position. Are you really arguing we should have MPs that make derogatory comments towards women? because that's not the kind of thing that's going to step us forward in the slightest, and it's not an attitude that should be generally acceptable regardless of someone's position.

Naturally some people will be going about it in the wrong way, and insulting him, which is also a fairly ridiculous standpoint. But objecting to his actions in general isn't a verbal attack or a hypocritical stance, especially given there's justification for having a viewpoint opposed to his.
    The main point im trying to get across to you here is that people do indeed make these kinds of throwaway comments, because you haven't experienced them in your environment doesn't mean they don't exist but I have.

These kinds of comments when put into the hands of the professionally offended or the media are used as a basis to judge a persons character, when these comments are made when under the influence of alcohol they are even less useful when being used to judge someones character. To judge someones character for stuff like this is ludicrous and it shows far more about character than a offhand comment ever will.

As reported by the media 90% of the taken out of context especially the "homophobic" one. For example "pride in your gayness, it’s not something to be ashamed of" is a comment made my Jared O'Mara more supportive than homophobic I would say. But it doesnt fit the media agenda so they omit it.

Trusting the media without research is worthless. The ironic thing is the only website to have the full quote is Guido Fawkes and even that site where the comment is in full view, cherry picks bits.

Here is a question for you. Jimmy Carr once made a sexist joke, is he sexist? I laughed at the joke as i sexist? I would say no.

@Rinsed The night club stuff we have heard one side of the story from one person. By that logic I could make up whatever story about him I wanted and it would be treated as fact. Bouncers have a job to do and that job is to remove people who are causing a fuss (for lack of a better term) from a nightclub. I have seen firsthand someone get thrown out of a nightclub for being violent only to hear them say that "I got thrown out for nothing I weren't doing anything mate" when in fact they were doing something mate.

ReputationRep:
    If any of the Lefties on thestudentroom become Labour MPs they will be fired very quickly.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.