Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    I am battling severe PTSD and I can't cope at Uni, it is far away from home and I have no friends here. I have classmates but they live off campus with family. I am in my second year. I have assignments due soon and I have no idea what I am doing, I understand it and know what to do but I read over my work and none of it makes sense.

    1) Is it possible to change University now and go closer to home and live with family? The course is slightly different but I will achieve the same job opportunities. Will this affect my finance?

    2) Can I defer my course for a year, how will this affect my student finance? I don't have a job.

    3) Can I stay at this University but work from home, via being sent the lectures (maybe face times) until I feel mentally ready to return?

    4) I have paid all my rent for this year of study, would I get the remainder back if I were to leave?

    Please help.

    First of all, is there someone in your department you can talk to and can give you advice on what to do?

    1) If you want to move to a university closer to home, do you mean you would start the course all over again or transfer? Transferring would depend on the time and if there was space available on the course you wanted to swap too. If you mean restart the course, you may have to pay some of it but I would contact student finance.

    2) Deferring the course is something you would have to talk to your university about. If this is something you decide to do, you would need to contact student finance about the change in circumstance as the loan schedule would change.

    3) Again, talk to someone from your department. It depends on the course (sometimes it would make sense to attend classes), but most of the lecture slides are available online. However, you wouldn't get the full experience that you are paying for. Perhaps a friend of yours could film the lectures for you?

    4) This would depend on the contract that you signed with your landlord. Most often we pay rent weekly/monthly, so to pay the whole year upfront is a little different. If your landlord won't give you the money back, you could look for someone to take over your contract, or sell them your contract at a reduced rate to reduce the amount of money you lose.
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

    Sponsored features:

    Making money from your own website

    Need some cash?

    How to make money running your own website.

    Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

    Handle your digital footprint

    What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.