Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    doing law at one of the best in london but i'm not happy. i miss home like crazy and am suffering from depression. i know i would do better if i was studying and living at home, especially since the degree is so tough and living out adds more stress to it. plus i don't know if i am really very passionate about law. the uni gave me a scholarship too so i'd be losing out on that but tbh considering the debt i will be in after uni (i receive the full maintenance loan £11k as i am in london)

if i were to drop out now my other option would be re-do year 1 at a uni close to home which is warwick or birmingham. both amazing unis but not like the lnat one i am currently at. but then i think since i am at tthis uni, the degree is harder, and as i said, living away from home will only add to me not doing the best i can.
    i was thinking of waiting till jan mock exams to see if i actually do well but by then ucas will close for 2018 entry. i could apply in the mean time anyway.

i just don't know what my passion is. i am good at humanities, want to get at least a 2.1 and i want a job so i chose law. it is interesting but idk if it's for me.

what do you guys think?

i currently go home (2hr journey) every weekend it's the only thing keeping me sane, if i stay here for 2 weeks i get so miserable.

ReputationRep:
    Part of the problem is probably that you visit home so often and constantly are reminded of the life you could have but ultimately don't. You see this with a lot of people who have pictures of their family, friends and dog plastered all over their walls. It is not a healthy way to deal with moving away from home.

Also, there is no proof moving closer to home will help you (unless you actually live at home). I have had friends be "depressed" after moving 45 mins from home. So the only real certain cure is to live at home; how viable is that? Do you think it might get claustrophobic?

You have only been there a couple of months. Give it a chance, explore all the societies you can, really engage with the subject and be immersed in the world of jurisprudence. You are at a uni which will truly allow you to do that, so you definitely should try to make the most of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Part of the problem is probably that you visit home so often and constantly are reminded of the life you could have but ultimately don't. You see this with a lot of people who have pictures of their family, friends and dog plastered all over their walls. It is not a healthy way to deal with moving away from home.

Also, there is no proof moving closer to home will help you (unless you actually live at home). I have had friends be "depressed" after moving 45 mins from home. So the only real certain cure is to live at home; how viable is that? Do you think it might get claustrophobic?

You have only been there a couple of months. Give it a chance, explore all the societies you can, really engage with the subject and be immersed in the world of jurisprudence. You are at a uni which will truly allow you to do that, so you definitely should try to make the most of it.
    yeah, i would actually be living at home and i don't find that claustrophobic. it's the norm for people who live in the area i come from.
    i am going to give it a chance. i have gone to societies but i can't really do that anymore as i am SO behind on work and if i go out it just feels like a waste of time and the one thing that scares the **** out of me and makes me the most anxious and upset is not doing well or understanding the work. which is why i always think being in the comfort of my own home is the best option for someone like me.

ReputationRep:
    Almost everyone goes through this at sometime or another. Give yourself much more time to decide what you want to do next - it's not a decision to rush. What would you tell your bf? I'd say talk to your personal tutor and a counsellor and find out what sort of help and support you can get. Plus treat yourself everyday - a movie on Netflix or a coffee, as long as it's something you enjoy and gives you a bit of breathing space. All the best.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.