Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    doing law at one of the best in london but i'm not happy. i miss home like crazy and am suffering from depression. i know i would do better if i was studying and living at home, especially since the degree is so tough and living out adds more stress to it. plus i don't know if i am really very passionate about law. the uni gave me a scholarship too so i'd be losing out on that but tbh considering the debt i will be in after uni (i receive the full maintenance loan £11k as i am in london)

if i were to drop out now my other option would be re-do year 1 at a uni close to home which is warwick or birmingham. both amazing unis but not like the lnat one i am currently at. but then i think since i am at tthis uni, the degree is harder, and as i said, living away from home will only add to me not doing the best i can.
    i was thinking of waiting till jan mock exams to see if i actually do well but by then ucas will close for 2018 entry. i could apply in the mean time anyway.

i just don't know what my passion is. i am good at humanities, want to get at least a 2.1 and i want a job so i chose law. it is interesting but idk if it's for me.

what do you guys think?

i currently go home (2hr journey) every weekend it's the only thing keeping me sane, if i stay here for 2 weeks i get so miserable.

ReputationRep:
    Part of the problem is probably that you visit home so often and constantly are reminded of the life you could have but ultimately don't. You see this with a lot of people who have pictures of their family, friends and dog plastered all over their walls. It is not a healthy way to deal with moving away from home.

Also, there is no proof moving closer to home will help you (unless you actually live at home). I have had friends be "depressed" after moving 45 mins from home. So the only real certain cure is to live at home; how viable is that? Do you think it might get claustrophobic?

You have only been there a couple of months. Give it a chance, explore all the societies you can, really engage with the subject and be immersed in the world of jurisprudence. You are at a uni which will truly allow you to do that, so you definitely should try to make the most of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Part of the problem is probably that you visit home so often and constantly are reminded of the life you could have but ultimately don't. You see this with a lot of people who have pictures of their family, friends and dog plastered all over their walls. It is not a healthy way to deal with moving away from home.

Also, there is no proof moving closer to home will help you (unless you actually live at home). I have had friends be "depressed" after moving 45 mins from home. So the only real certain cure is to live at home; how viable is that? Do you think it might get claustrophobic?

You have only been there a couple of months. Give it a chance, explore all the societies you can, really engage with the subject and be immersed in the world of jurisprudence. You are at a uni which will truly allow you to do that, so you definitely should try to make the most of it.
    yeah, i would actually be living at home and i don't find that claustrophobic. it's the norm for people who live in the area i come from.
    i am going to give it a chance. i have gone to societies but i can't really do that anymore as i am SO behind on work and if i go out it just feels like a waste of time and the one thing that scares the **** out of me and makes me the most anxious and upset is not doing well or understanding the work. which is why i always think being in the comfort of my own home is the best option for someone like me.

ReputationRep:
    Almost everyone goes through this at sometime or another. Give yourself much more time to decide what you want to do next - it's not a decision to rush. What would you tell your bf? I'd say talk to your personal tutor and a counsellor and find out what sort of help and support you can get. Plus treat yourself everyday - a movie on Netflix or a coffee, as long as it's something you enjoy and gives you a bit of breathing space. All the best.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 25, 2017

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.