Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Whats the actual difference between the atom economy and percentage yield? Aren't they the same? I dont understand how a reaction can have a high percentage yield but a low atom economy? Shouldnt it have a high percentage yield and high atom economy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Love123443)
    Whats the actual difference between the atom economy and percentage yield? Aren't they the same? I dont understand how a reaction can have a high percentage yield but a low atom economy? Shouldnt it have a high percentage yield and high atom economy?
    percentage yield is = actual amount/theoretical amount. its the percentage that is acc made in real life, rather than what the maths says it will. atom economy is how much waste there is during a real reaction, mass of desired/mass of total. it shows how well a reaction makes the thing you need.

for example, if i want to make ch3. molar wise, it tells me I'm going to make 5 moles of it. but i only make two. this is low percentage yield. but if the reaction is

c + h2= ch3, it will have high atom economy because ch3 is the only thing i made. rather than

c + h2= ch2, ch4, ch3, h20

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.