Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm considering applying for new MA Philosophy at NCH. I had a personal consultation recently that was a building tour and casual chat with an Admissions Team Assistant. They very kindly put me in touch with someone on the course now and we'll be meeting up soon. Also, I have been invited to attend a lecture/ seminar on a module of my choice. This should help me decide if it's right for me!
    What are your first impressions of the courses? Do you think the reduced UG fees will be a big draw?

ReputationRep:
    Hi.. I applied for the Philosophy MA at NCH for 2018 entry, the course seems really interesting, I like the modules a lot, it's really different from the other Philosphy MAs I've seen.. Are you still thinking about applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.m95)
    ... Are you still thinking about applying?
    Yes - hopefully! I'm thinking about it and thankfully have until summer to consider it carefully. I'd be a mature student and need to be sure my circumstances stay the same as they are at the moment (housing and job security etc)
    The lecture/ seminar I mentioned is booked for tomorrow so that will give me a better idea of what to expect. I've been told that other prospective students have been invited, so I might see you there!
    Have you looked into alternatives (Kings, UCL, Birkbeck etc)? As far as the content goes NCH is my favourite so far.
    All the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink*fairy)
    Yes - hopefully! I'm thinking about it and thankfully have until summer to consider it carefully. I'd be a mature student and need to be sure my circumstances stay the same as they are at the moment (housing and job security etc)
    The lecture/ seminar I mentioned is booked for tomorrow so that will give me a better idea of what to expect. I've been told that other prospective students have been invited, so I might see you there!
    Have you looked into alternatives (Kings, UCL, Birkbeck etc)? As far as the content goes NCH is my favourite so far.
    All the best!
    I see.. hopefully it works out for you! I checked some other masters programmes in these unis you mentioned, but just like you said, NCH is my favourite one so far, course structure, modules and so on.. I wish I could go to the lecture you said, but I am international.. So, if you go, let me know if you like it and how it goes please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.m95)
    .. I wish I could go to the lecture you said, but I am international.. So, if you go, let me know if you like it and how it goes please!
    OK, I'll try to leave my feedback on here for you! I was emailed an invitation with the reading list a couple of weeks ago. The lecture will be on the 'History of Ethics' module and discuss Mill's 'Utilitarianism'. I have been asked to read the first 2 chapters of Mill in preparation and the lecture will also cover Sidgwick.

According to a current MA student I met, most lectures are 2hrs on Friday afternoons to fit around students paid work commitments and the reading takes up about 3-4 hrs a week.

Looking forward to it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.