Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any advice to prepare for my chemical engineering course? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I just got into an uni for chemical engineering course.
    I know I need to study maths, physics and chemistry as soon as i start the course next year.
    The thing is that now i have some extra time (up till next February) and want to get prepared for what i will be learning.
    I am currently focusing on maths (nothing really deep but just solving and sloving over again the things i learnt from A level).
    Would you give me any advice on studies? (for example, i need to focus on complex numbers or any other things from chemistry, physics and maths.)
    I want to hear some from anyone currently studying in chemical engineering major.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Doing more maths is more useful than either of the others.

Complex numbers, matrices, infinite series, and any calculus topic are probably the most useful to develop. You'll probably also want to brush up on your vectors and trig identities, and maybe partial fractions. Polar coordinates might be worth reviewing as well.

I mean most of the A-levels Maths and Further Maths curriculum really, as it's unsurprisingly the prerequisite material. However in general, the topics most closely related to calculus, or that help you solve problems in calculus quickly (such as knowing trig identities/quickly separating partial fractions) are most useful.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.