Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone! I've just submitted my UCAS application and I'm going to be having interviews at these universities, I was just wondering if anyone could please give me some tips on what to expect from the interviews at these places and how to prepare?

Thank youuu!!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    So, my info is based on two friends of mine who did their MPhys/BSc at Exeter a while back, so it's quite possibly out of date since it was about 7-8 years ago. In their experiences, they had some technical questions but it wasn't really out of the ordinary as e.g. Oxbridge, and did involve a fair bit of "general" interview content like interests/motivations etc. However the general impression they got was that the interviews were more about recruitment, than filtering/shortlisting - seeing if e.g. a low or high offer would make the interviewee more or less likely to select Exeter as their firm choice.

As long as you're familiar with the core content you've learned so far I imagine it should go reasonably well for Exeter. They're also not the type to turn down good candidates due to recruitment numbers - they've overrecruited for a few years now, leading to problems with their cohorts being too big for the first year labs and causing timetabling headaches for the administration to try and rotate all the students through. I believe some of the Physics courses land in clearing from there fairly regularly as well, so overall I think you're more likely than not to get an offer if you're broadly on target for getting an AB+ in Maths and Physics.

ReputationRep:
    This is brilliantly helpful thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    when did you get told you had an interview for exeter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessicaEMB)
    when did you get told you had an interview for exeter?
    i was told last Tuesday and it’s on the 2nd of December, i made the post in anticipation in case i got an interview because it said in the website that they interviewed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romina23)
    i was told last Tuesday and it’s on the 2nd of December, i made the post in anticipation in case i got an interview because it said in the website that they interviewed
    Oh Exeter is my top choice and I haven't heard anything... guess I didn't get in
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessicaEMB)
    Oh Exeter is my top choice and I haven't heard anything... guess I didn't get in
    awwhh no im sure thats not the case!!! it took ages for me to get offered an interview, best of luck to you anyway!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.