Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will be 23 when I go back to uni, scared out of my mind!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so here it goes. Basically I'm 22 right now and I'm working an okish job after dropping out of my previous uni for a number of reasons. I used to be at Hull uni studying economics however I knew after a month in that it definitely wasn't my passion and it didn't help that socially speaking, things weren't going so great either. Anyhow long story short my life back at home had collapsed as well (again longstory) and it all got a bit too much and I did something pretty stupid and just had to drop out due to my mental health. I've since cleared myself up and got my head straight after almost two years and I've found what I want to do (archaeology) and where. I've got unconditonal offers from York, Newcastle, Manchester and Sheffield. Trouble is I'm terrified at the fact of being 23 when I start and don't want to miss out on the whole 'uni experience' I want to live in halls join societies do a sport etc but at the same tim I don't want to be singled out because of my age, any thoughts and advice on this would be great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelofessence)
    Ok so here it goes. Basically I'm 22 right now and I'm working an okish job after dropping out of my previous uni for a number of reasons. I used to be at Hull uni studying economics however I knew after a month in that it definitely wasn't my passion and it didn't help that socially speaking, things weren't going so great either. Anyhow long story short my life back at home had collapsed as well (again longstory) and it all got a bit too much and I did something pretty stupid and just had to drop out due to my mental health. I've since cleared myself up and got my head straight after almost two years and I've found what I want to do (archaeology) and where. I've got unconditonal offers from York, Newcastle, Manchester and Sheffield. Trouble is I'm terrified at the fact of being 23 when I start and don't want to miss out on the whole 'uni experience' I want to live in halls join societies do a sport etc but at the same tim I don't want to be singled out because of my age, any thoughts and advice on this would be great!
    People attending universities will always be at different ages so I'm sure you wont be the only one. Don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    Ha dont worry, im 24 and just started uni this september, its not an issue at all, nobody cares. I am the oldest in my halls but there are others aged 22, 21 etc and it doesn't matter in the slightest. Also if you join societies you'll be mixing with second and third years as well as post grad students.

ReputationRep:
    I have a 27 year old on my course that lives in accomodation, nobody cares as much about mature students as some people think. Just go in with some confidence and you'll make friends easily.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I bet being older is better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelofessence)
    I'm 26 and I'm still studying [i'm living the halls as well]. Just join the societies and live in halls! You wouldn't get singled out! There are others around our age too :P

ReputationRep:
    Lol, you're not that old. People would probably assume you're their age unless you tell them otherwise.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.