Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I couldn't find an answer to my question from the similar topics here, so asking a new question. Apologise if it was answered before and I missed it.

Basically, I am now in Hong Kong on my year abroad and am aware that I can claim the travel reinburstment, however the question is if I have to travel back within certain period of time after finishing my studies here in Hong Kong? I am planning to travel around Asia for a month or two after the end of academic year and am worried that I will no longer be eligible for the travel reinburstment after that.
    The second question is, whether my travel back to England has to be from Hong Kong or I can fly from somewhere else in Asia?

Thanks in advance!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swarry)
    Hi, I couldn't find an answer to my question from the similar topics here, so asking a new question. Apologise if it was answered before and I missed it.

Basically, I am now in Hong Kong on my year abroad and am aware that I can claim the travel reinburstment, however the question is if I have to travel back within certain period of time after finishing my studies here in Hong Kong? I am planning to travel around Asia for a month or two after the end of academic year and am worried that I will no longer be eligible for the travel reinburstment after that.
    The second question is, whether my travel back to England has to be from Hong Kong or I can fly from somewhere else in Asia?

Thanks in advance!
    I've asked for this to be moved into the Ask Student Finance England area of the site where a SFE rep can help you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    I've asked for this to be moved into the Ask Student Finance England area of the site where a SFE rep can help you
    Thanks a lot!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swarry)

Thanks in advance!
    Hi swarry,

Your entitlement is

• For a full year placement up to 3 return journeys between the United Kingdom and an overseas institution. To be eligible to claim 3 return journeys the student will need to be in attendance at their overseas institution for at least 50% of each of the 4 academic quarters (terms). If they don't meet this requirement they won't be eligible to be reimbursed for 3 return journeys.
    • The class and method of travel should be deemed reasonable (ie no business class,) standard economy is expected. However if enhanced economy class flights have been purchased e.g. Economy Flex or Economy Flex Plus, we would require evidence to show that this was the only or least expensive option available at the time of booking as these fares offer additional benefits. If a student advises that they wish to purchase an Economy Flex fare (not Plus) due to not knowing their return dates they should advise this at the time of claiming for consideration.

You would need to fly back from your initial destination, I have sent an email to the travel grant team to check if there is any timescale in which you have to make that return journey. I would expect that you would have to send in a letter and customer reference number, stating the reason and requesting this, but I will contact you once they respond.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi swarry,

Your entitlement is

• For a full year placement up to 3 return journeys between the United Kingdom and an overseas institution. To be eligible to claim 3 return journeys the student will need to be in attendance at their overseas institution for at least 50% of each of the 4 academic quarters (terms). If they don't meet this requirement they won't be eligible to be reimbursed for 3 return journeys.
    • The class and method of travel should be deemed reasonable (ie no business class,) standard economy is expected. However if enhanced economy class flights have been purchased e.g. Economy Flex or Economy Flex Plus, we would require evidence to show that this was the only or least expensive option available at the time of booking as these fares offer additional benefits. If a student advises that they wish to purchase an Economy Flex fare (not Plus) due to not knowing their return dates they should advise this at the time of claiming for consideration.

You would need to fly back from your initial destination, I have sent an email to the travel grant team to check if there is any timescale in which you have to make that return journey. I would expect that you would have to send in a letter and customer reference number, stating the reason and requesting this, but I will contact you once they respond.

Thanks Rona
    This was very informative, thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.