Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in 3rd year of Law at Bristol Uni and want to go into consultancy. Is a msc management at Warwick/LSE/Imperial/LBS worth the extra money?? The courses are 28k each, compared to 12k at the likes of Manchester/Durham/Smurfit.

Also, how would you typically rank business schools within the UK (and Smurfit),

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123lascelles)
    I'm in 3rd year of Law at Bristol Uni and want to go into consultancy. Is a msc management at Warwick/LSE/Imperial/LBS worth the extra money?? The courses are 28k each, compared to 12k at the likes of Manchester/Durham/Smurfit.

Also, how would you typically rank business schools within the UK (and Smurfit),

Thanks!

Have you already applied to any of these universities ?

ReputationRep:
    LBS
    LSE
    Warwick
    UCL
    KCL
    Durham
    Bristol
    St. Andrews
    Edinburgh
    Bath

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathan9087)
    LBS
    LSE
    Warwick
    UCL
    KCL
    Durham
    Bristol
    St. Andrews
    Edinburgh
    Bath
    Did you apply to all those universities for the MSc in Management ?

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for Imperial and UCL, got rejected from LSE. Might consider Cass if Imperial and UCL reject me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukmania)
    Did you apply to all those universities for the MSc in Management ?
    Yes

LBS : waiting
    LSE : offer
    Warwick : rejected
    UCL : rejected
    KCL : offer
    Durham : offer
    Bristol : offer
    St. Andrews : offer
    Edinburgh : rejected
    Bath : offer with scholarship

ReputationRep:
    Did you remember the date when you received the offer/rejection from these universities ? When did you apply to all of them?Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yes

I got rejected from Warwick and Edinburgh as well...

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected from Warwick and Edinburgh as well...
    I’m sorry to hear that.

Regarding your first question, Nottingham and Bristol were the first to accept (1 week) and LSE was the last one to give an offer (almost 4 months) and others replied to me within this timeframe.

ReputationRep:
    Ok! To which university are you then going to ? Do you think Durham shares the same well known reputation as Warwick ?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Yes

Soo UCL, Edinburgh and Warwick rejected, but St Andrews, LSE and KCL accepted?

Very interesting indeed!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liquidconfidence)

Very interesting indeed!
    Di you suggest Durham ?

ReputationRep:
    Ok! To which university are you then going to ? Do you think Durham shares the same well known reputation as Warwick ?

Thanks!
    I chose LSE but decided to defer my offer to next year intake ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liquidconfidence)

Very interesting indeed!
    Yeah Edinburgh doesn’t accept 3-year degree from Australia while UCL and Warwick set the entry requirements for Australian applicants excessively higher than standard equivalence.

ReputationRep:
    In some cases, you get what you pay for; certain universities with higher fees do actually invest in good resources and facilities so you will benefit from going there. On the most part, however, I think you tend to pay more for the name and reputation of the university. What you need to consider more than anything is what you are going to get out of the courses you've applied for - don't pay extremely high fees for a university with a good reputation if the reality is you would benefit from a place elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TiggerTash)
    In some cases, you get what you pay for; certain universities with higher fees do actually invest in good resources and facilities so you will benefit from going there. On the most part, however, I think you tend to pay more for the name and reputation of the university. What you need to consider more than anything is what you are going to get out of the courses you've applied for - don't pay extremely high fees for a university with a good reputation if the reality is you would benefit from a place elsewhere.
    Did you study in the UK yourself ? Based on reputation among Cranfield, Durham, Leeds and Strathclyde, which one has the greatest reputation ?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Did you study in the UK yourself ? Based on reputation among Cranfield, Durham, Leeds and Strathclyde, which one has the greatest reputation ?

Thanks!
    Yes I'm a UK student. Based on those four, I would say Leeds then Durham have the best reputation, although Cranfield is fantastic for research so they really shouldn't be overlooked like they often are. Strathclyde I don't really know much about if I'm honest, it's not a university that is advertised or talked about much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TiggerTash)
    Yes I'm a UK student. Based on those four, I would say Leeds then Durham have the best reputation, although Cranfield is fantastic for research so they really shouldn't be overlooked like they often are. Strathclyde I don't really know much about if I'm honest, it's not a university that is advertised or talked about much.
    Ok, thanks! If i were to choose between Leeds and Durham, which one would you suggest in terms of reputation ? From what i read elsewhere Durham has a greater reputation than Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks! If i were to choose between Leeds and Durham, which one would you suggest in terms of reputation ? From what i read elsewhere Durham has a greater reputation than Leeds.
    They both seem to teeter around in the top 20, but Durham (especially the last couple of years) does tend to take the lead and on most current league tables is in the top 10, I believe.

On the flip side, for Business/Management subjects specifically, I personally rate Leeds slightly higher as I think their programmes seem more engaging and they have an excellent business school reputation within the UK.

In all honesty, if you got into either one you would be graduating in a pretty good position. I know people who have graduated from both Leeds and Durham (undergrad, anyway) and frankly neither of them are doing too badly for themselves.

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    For Management Durham > Cranfield > Leeds >>>>>>>> Strathclyde

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.