Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm currently on my first year on HNC mechanical engineering and love it so far. I have come across a few things I can't get my head around just yet and would appreciate some help if possible .

Problem #1:

I would say I have a good understanding of shear force diagrams but the one thing I can't seem to solve is finding the area of by similar triangles when they cross from positive to negative UDL force.

So I have a shear force diagram and have worked out all of the areas except the two triangles. One triangle has a height of 2.3N and the other -2.7N which both span across 1 meter of the beam. The question is, how do I go about finding the length of triangle 1
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Treat the diagram like a graphical equation of y = mx + c where the x axis is the location along the beam and y is the force, find the gradient and then find the value of x that gives the maximum shear force that forms the triangle you are looking at.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Vikingninja but I still can't get it, it's driving me mad at this point 😠
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danz88)
    Thanks Vikingninja but I still can't get it, it's driving me mad at this point 😠
    As in the answer or the idea in general?

ReputationRep:
    I get the idea but it's the maths I can't get to work it out.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danz88)
    I get the idea but it's the maths I can't get to work it out.
    If you mean the distance it should just be needed to be changed to positive, can you show your workings.

ReputationRep:
    Im at the stage were I need to work out the areas after drawing my shear force diagram. I can't work out the length of both triangles to find areas of A4
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image-282e8180-e8cf-4cc6-8030-bc9a7147016f148513206-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 4
Size:  32.4 KB

Could someone please give some guidamce on how I find the length of triangles A3 & A4 so I can find the area. I have no idea how to get this?

Thanks in advance

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.