Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm stressed...I feel like i can't achieve what i wish to i feel like a failure Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13ANESHA02)
    I will do - hopefully I do well in the mock. I would like to study something to do with English literature
    ah english is one of my favourite subjects; if there's any news about your mocks, please come back and tell us! i'm sure you'll do well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asox)
    I'm not too knowledgeable about the new grading system but I know it goes up to 9 so I'm imaging 7 is a low A/very high B?

If this is the case then yes it is manageable if you work for it.

Speaking from personal experience (I sat my maths GCSE a year early and I was getting Ds the term before the exam, 4 months later I got an A* in my maths) maths skills can be improved very quickly in a short space of time with practice.

Go to your teachers and tell them exactly what you want to get and ask them for the help to get there. They're your teachers and it's their job to help you achieve the best of your ability.

Also do as many past paper questions as possible - the questions always repeat, it's just with different numbers. Once you've learnt the methods you just apply it to the question you are doing.

Thank you! WOW! you surely are a mathematician, I will try to do as many past papers as possible. You surely made my day! Thanks for the honesty and tips - very much appreciated.

Btw ARE YOU A KENDALL FAN

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13ANESHA02)
    Thank you! WOW! you surely are a mathematician, I will try to do as many past papers as possible. You surely made my day! Thanks for the honesty and tips - very much appreciated.

Btw ARE YOU A KENDALL FAN
    It's okay - don't lose hope, be confident!

and yes ahah

ReputationRep:
    My advice is don't be worried just because you achieved low grades. Use the feeling you have right now to motivate you. Don't give up! Anyone is capable of achieving what they desire just by putting the effort into it.

Maths is about logical reasoning and is most definitely difficult. The teachers want their students to achieve high grades and therefore they supply difficult tests especially when it comes to topic tests and they are great opportunities to learn from mistakes to be able to get it right the next time. Beside you do have quite a while (but you do need to revise) to prepare for the real exam and let the mocks tell you what you need to go over again.

By the way, GCSEs ARE becoming more important for entering universities (especially top level) but what they mostly consider is your A Levels. As of the 2017 entrance, the GCSE barely mattered, it is simply there for (maybe) checking on but really they confirm good A Level results. Now of course, the AS Levels have been removed and therefore, Unis may use GCSE results as a benchmark (as oppose to the old AS Levels) for whether they want to accept. However, if you don't get good grades then by taking a Gap year, on the following year, they will look at your A Level results (so basically a second chance) and gap years are a frequently opted option!

Finally, if you really want to thrive:
    Complete past papers,
    Do lots of questions on topics you find difficult,
    And don't beat yourself up too much.

Actually one of the greatest advice I received was:
    Don't answer a question, get it right, but NOT understand why your answer was correct. You need to have a thorough understanding of why things are done one way.

REMEMBER:
    Mathematics is based upon finding correlations, absolute truths, and logical reasoning, therefore there is always a proper reasoning to why calculations are done a certain way.

P.S: If you read the whole comment, thanks and hope it helps at least a little!!!

ReputationRep:
    The highest you can get in the foundation paper is a 5 equalling a C.

If I were you I would start going to one on one maths clinics (if you are not already). Do past paper questions mathsbot revision guides are good. Watch YouTube videos if you don’t understand anything. And anything you have done in year 10 and 11 do questions on- identify your weak spots and ask for after school sessions of them.
    I would have said it was possible to get a 7 (A) if you were consistent on a 5 and an above.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    just wait till a levels ...

ReputationRep:
    It's okay! Don't worry! Just become an alcoholic!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roben Kabenski)
    My advice is don't be worried just because you achieved low grades. Use the feeling you have right now to motivate you. Don't give up! Anyone is capable of achieving what they desire just by putting the effort into it.

Maths is about logical reasoning and is most definitely difficult. The teachers want their students to achieve high grades and therefore they supply difficult tests especially when it comes to topic tests and they are great opportunities to learn from mistakes to be able to get it right the next time. Beside you do have quite a while (but you do need to revise) to prepare for the real exam and let the mocks tell you what you need to go over again.

By the way, GCSEs ARE becoming more important for entering universities (especially top level) but what they mostly consider is your A Levels. As of the 2017 entrance, the GCSE barely mattered, it is simply there for (maybe) checking on but really they confirm good A Level results. Now of course, the AS Levels have been removed and therefore, Unis may use GCSE results as a benchmark (as oppose to the old AS Levels) for whether they want to accept. However, if you don't get good grades then by taking a Gap year, on the following year, they will look at your A Level results (so basically a second chance) and gap years are a frequently opted option!

Finally, if you really want to thrive:
    Complete past papers,
    Do lots of questions on topics you find difficult,
    And don't beat yourself up too much.

Actually one of the greatest advice I received was:
    Don't answer a question, get it right, but NOT understand why your answer was correct. You need to have a thorough understanding of why things are done one way.

REMEMBER:
    Mathematics is based upon finding correlations, absolute truths, and logical reasoning, therefore there is always a proper reasoning to why calculations are done a certain way.

P.S: If you read the whole comment, thanks and hope it helps at least a little!!!
    AWW thank you for that amazing reply - detailed and helpful. I will use that advice thank you very very much. HOPEFULLY GET THAT GRADE 7

PS I did ready all of the reply, thanks for the amazing informative reply I feel take in account all of you advice for the future .
    many thanks,
    Anesha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carlos_98)
    It's okay! Don't worry! Just become an alcoholic!
    THIS COMMENT MADE ME LAUGH - I'M ONLY 15, I don't drink lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    ah english is one of my favourite subjects; if there's any news about your mocks, please come back and tell us! i'm sure you'll do well.
    Same - English is definitely my thing! I will - I will deffos tell you guys what I got.Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.