Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm about 4 weeks into my psychology conversion (part time) and I feel as though I am struggling.

Initially thought myself to be fairly academic, and I didn't struggle through my undergrad degree. But now I feel as though I do not have enough time to study as much as I should, and my concentration is awful.

I work 4 days a week (3-11pm) and try to study in the morning before work, but due to the shift times I am constantly exhausted. I also have a chronic medical condition which causes me to be tired more so than the average person. I can't cut down my work hours as I am a mature student.

As a result my concentration and attention span is appalling - within 10 minutes I'm bored and need some form of distraction.

I really really really want to do well, but at this point can't see myself able to get a distinction.

Is anyone else in the same boat? How did you cope?

ReputationRep:
    I think it doesn't help that you are working so much too. What little time you do have, you have to cram in as much study as possible. It doesn't seem like something you enjoy anymore, which would account for why you are so easily distracted.

Are you attending university classes or distance learning? You say that you can't cut down on work hours - maybe the answer is to cut down studying? If you are studying full time, try to look into part time studying.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catk90)
    I'm about 4 weeks into my psychology conversion (part time) and I feel as though I am struggling.

Initially thought myself to be fairly academic, and I didn't struggle through my undergrad degree. But now I feel as though I do not have enough time to study as much as I should, and my concentration is awful.

I work 4 days a week (3-11pm) and try to study in the morning before work, but due to the shift times I am constantly exhausted. I also have a chronic medical condition which causes me to be tired more so than the average person. I can't cut down my work hours as I am a mature student.

As a result my concentration and attention span is appalling - within 10 minutes I'm bored and need some form of distraction.

I really really really want to do well, but at this point can't see myself able to get a distinction.

Is anyone else in the same boat? How did you cope?
    Hi Catk90

Firstly I think you really need to give yourself some credit for what you're doing! Working (pretty much) full time hours AND completing an MSc certainly isn't easy and you're doing it, so well done!

I understand where you're coming from with struggling to work before your 3-11 shifts, I was in the same boat when I did my MSc last year, I used to get so stressed out that I couldn't concentrate in the mornings because I was working so late. I guess I was lucky that I only worked 3 days a week so I could sacrifice those mornings to have a bit of a break and just focus on my studies the rest of the week in evenings after lectures. I would guess the other 3 days you aren't at work, you're in university for teaching/seminars etc?

If you're condition is causing you to become more stressed out, it may be worth visiting your GP for any advice they can give you?

To tackle that short attention span, try getting creative with your work, mind maps, quiz yourself, practice teaching it to others - maybe a family member? I used to try and teach my classmates the content and I found that a really helpful way of learning since I had to put it in my own words.

If you're struggling to concentrate for longer than 10 minutes then don't. Work in 10 minute bursts with little breaks in between, you'll soon find your work is coming together and you'll find it easier to concentrate.

I hope you find some of this helpful! Let me know how you're getting on, or if you have any other concerns?

Thanks

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep
    Connect with NTU
    Keep up with our daily stories on Facebook.
    Follow our Twitter for student news.
    Explore our campuses with Instagram.
    See what life at NTU is like on our Youtube.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.