The Student Room Group

York Vs Leeds for Law LLB

I have predicted grades of AAB so I can apply for some AAA universities... however there aren't that many for law.
They both have been rated right up in the rankings recently and I feel like York has the better reputation but I'm not sure if it is too quiet a city...?! I want to go somewhere with life, but also somewhere with its own vibes and interesting buildings. But is leeds city a bit run down? Which campus is nicest? I don't have time to see them both ☹️☹️ Help!!
I'm faced with the same decision as you. I'm currently predicted AAA and trying to get at least one A* in the next cycle of exams at school. I really can't decide between the two unis, I do think York has a better rep but Leeds has clearer international opportunities; The Law + EU Law LLB is what I like. Leeds also state clearly that they look at an EPQ and could lower offers so that's also good.
Reply 2
True true ty :smile:)
Leeds is known as one of the nicest places for a student to live in England so it wouldnt get that reputation if it was run down.

Saying that, York is arguably the nicest, certainly one of, campuses in the UK and i have seen it at an open day and it is beautiful. The city is also amazing and reminds me of Durham - where I live.

That being said, York has a very different law course which they call problem-based learning and you are essentially given a scenario in groups and use knowledge to solve it. This is different to any other law course really and is very untraditional. York aslo requires an interview to be accepted.

So if you think you would thrive in a traditional learning scenario e.g lectures etc. go with Leeds, if not go with York.

For context, I have an offer from Leeds right now for AAB and A in the EPQ so it may be worth considering doing an EPQ if you choose Leeds.
York are also beginning to give out interviews and i just got mine today, its in December.

I would also recommend other unis like Exeter tho as they seem pretty lenient on their grades and gave me an offer for BBB so have essentially confirmed themselves as my insurance.

Hope this helped
Original post by CleggyFTW
Leeds is known as one of the nicest places for a student to live in England so it wouldnt get that reputation if it was run down.

Saying that, York is arguably the nicest, certainly one of, campuses in the UK and i have seen it at an open day and it is beautiful. The city is also amazing and reminds me of Durham - where I live.

That being said, York has a very different law course which they call problem-based learning and you are essentially given a scenario in groups and use knowledge to solve it. This is different to any other law course really and is very untraditional. York aslo requires an interview to be accepted.

So if you think you would thrive in a traditional learning scenario e.g lectures etc. go with Leeds, if not go with York.

For context, I have an offer from Leeds right now for AAB and A in the EPQ so it may be worth considering doing an EPQ if you choose Leeds.
York are also beginning to give out interviews and i just got mine today, its in December.

I would also recommend other unis like Exeter tho as they seem pretty lenient on their grades and gave me an offer for BBB so have essentially confirmed themselves as my insurance.

Hope this helped

York's campus is a concrete slab
Reply 5
Leeds!
Reply 6
Thank you!! Yes really useful :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending