Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would nhs 111 do if I'm having chest pains Watch

ReputationRep:
    My dad never had to call nhs 111 because I don't get poorly. But if he had to call them about my chest pains. I know that they won't do anything

ReputationRep:
    the operator would try & assess whether you need immediate assistance or whether it is less urgent...

questions would include asking whether you have previous episodes of chest pain, whether there is a family history of heart disease, whether the pain goes up into your shoulder etc.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel shaw)
    My never had to call nhs 111 because I don't get poorly. But if he had to call them about my chest pains. I know that they won't do anything
    Depends on the type and severity of chest pains. They would probably suggest an urgent GP appt or A&E.
    But if you know you need to see somebody you don't have to call them. Just make an appointment. 111 is for when you don't know what to do or need urgent advice. They can only give you advice. They can't help directly. Seems like nothing, but can be very helpful for some people.

ReputationRep:
    I have been to the doctor about it. He said if they don't go u should come back. I do still get them. In 2015 they were bad. But I don't think nhs 111 are going to anything. When dad called the doctor's office the receptionist said if your daughter is having chest pain call 999 but I did think that was a bit wrong. In the event if they were bad. Maybe time to call an ambulance. But I don't want to worry my neibors because they will be so sad. To see an Ambulance pull up at my house.

ReputationRep:
    Call 111 you'll know :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My dad never had to call nhs 111 because I don't get poorly. But if he had to call them about my chest pains. I know that they won't do anything
    My mother had chest pains, she called 111, they did nothing. So she called 999, they came in,assessed and took her to hospital.

I recommend you call 999. Forget what your neighbours will think. You will either keep experiencing this because 111 will do nothing. they will tell you to go to the GP

Omg are you me? I have the exact chest pain you describe on and off. Recently it's been hitting me full on, 111 won't do anything trust me. I went to A&E to get it checked out, had to wait a good 5 hrs. I had a couple of blood tests and an ecg and sent me home. Told me if it gets worse I should come back. However, the pain is still there so i dont know wtf is up. Gonna go back soon.
    I think you should definitely go and get yourself checked. Go to A&E. 111 won't do jack crap trust me
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I have been to the doctor about it. He said if they don't go u should come back. I do still get them. In 2015 they were bad. But I don't think nhs 111 are going to anything. When dad called the doctor's office the receptionist said if your daughter is having chest pain call 999 but I did think that was a bit wrong. In the event if they were bad. Maybe time to call an ambulance. But I don't want to worry my neibors because they will be so sad. To see an Ambulance pull up at my house.
    If you are already under the care of a medical professional and nothing has changed then there isn't really anything to do.
    Do you feel like more should be being done about this? If so you should go back and discuss your concerns with your GP.

If there has been a change and things are worse then you can call 111 or see your GP again. 111 might just tell you to see your GP if it doesn't sound urgent or high risk.

"Chest pain" can mean a lot of things and depending on what you are meaning there will be different approaches. All 111 can do is suggest which approach you start with, but ultimately it is a medical professional like your GP who will choose the approach because they are trained to assess the situation and it's potential.
    If you are already seeing a GP or other doctor then 111 is redundant unless anything new happens.

If you feel like things have changed and that you might be in danger, but aren't sure, then call 111. If you think you definitely need to be seen soon then make an urgent appointment to see your GP, go to A&E or call 999.
    Doesn't matter what neighbours or anybody else think, if you think you are in danger do something about it.

ReputationRep:
    That's what the receptionist told dad couple of months ago. Call 999. One of my friends get it as same as me told her to call 999. I'm not happy about having chest pains. I do have a school nurse called Tracy but she can't help she is at a another school but does visit my school. Well if dad calls 111 and they don't do anything I'm going blame them

ReputationRep:
    111 is a service for signposting patients towards the most appropriate care, whether that's self-care, use of community services (e.g. pharmacy), or to your GP. Or in cases where they deem it to be an emergency, they can arrange an ambulance for you to attend A&E.

Chest pains make 111 very twitchy and will more often than not advise you to attend A&E. If your chest pains have been an on-going thing, they may book an urgent GP appointment for you.

ReputationRep:
    If in doubt ring 999. They will be able to do a basic assessment on the phone. 111 used to be awesome. Last time I tried it I was disconnected before anyone picked up.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but they will sometimes be concerned. They might send me a ambulance. Believe me I know what there like

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.