Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by yudothis)
    But a fetus is not a human being. That's the whole point.
    Since fetuses have been proven to be alive and conscious, I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Since fetuses have been proven to be alive and conscious, I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree.
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Questions1729)
    Think of it this way.

Let us say that a foetus is always human throughout.
    Now let's consider every situation where abortions occur.
    If we give the foetus and the mother equal weight as humans and neither's life is worth more than the others. My question would abortion still be morally right in this instance ?
    You fall at the first point. A foetus is not human. Just a collection of cells with the potential to become human. You cannot equate the 2.

ReputationRep:
    Do you agree?
    100% NO!!

ReputationRep:
    Do you agree?
    No. No I wouldn’t. Pro choice isn’t the same as pro abortion, but I disagree that it’s men who decide we shouldn’t have abortion, it’s not their bodies. They dont get to decide what we can and can’t do with our bodies.

But, an embryo isn’t a child. As someone once said, if you were in a burning room and could save 1000 embryos or one child; which one?

The child. Every time. And if you would let a child die over what aren’t actually children yet, you’re a *****y person.

It’s an interesting question.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'm calling bs on this unless you have impartial empirical evidence you can post to back this up.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. You could allow it in special cases where the woman was raped for example but illegal for the most part.

Yes! Abortion should be illegal! As no matter how small the foetus is, it’s still a life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guru Jason)
    You fall at the first point. A foetus is not human. Just a collection of cells with the potential to become human. You cannot equate the 2.
    I don't to be pedantic, but a blastocyst is a collection of cells. Foetuses have tissues and rapidly form organs.

Just out of interest, at what point do you think that personhood begins?

I don't mean to attack you in any way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tantalus)
    I don't to be pedantic, but a blastocyst is a collection of cells. Foetuses have tissues and rapidly form organs.

Just out of interest, at what point do you think that personhood begins?

I don't mean to attack you in any way.
    When It can survive outside the womb with the help of medical intervention so about 25 weeks. There is a reason the limt it about 24 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt Queen)
    Just give it to someone else!! your nor my silly fears of being in labour is not worth a life. No one is making you keep the child, just deliver it and get out.
    this 'salt queen' biatche is rly pi$$ing me off. she doesn't agree with ur opinion, you're automatically not a critical thinker or are just trying to get reps. how about u gtfo and worry about yourself?? abortion is not wrong and u can think otherwise, but don't try telling others what they can and cannot do with THEIR body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guru Jason)
    When It can survive outside the womb with the help of medical intervention so about 25 weeks. There is a reason the limt it about 24 weeks.
    Nowadays scbu/ neonatal will treat from 22/23 weeks.
    As medicine advances perhaps we need to lower the limits.
    24 is a touch too high for me

ReputationRep:
    how the f can u say 'it's true. He is saying it for reps.'????? how would you know?? just cos he's right and valid? just cos he's a smart individual with fair opinions which a lot of us agree with? id assume your social life is non-existent because of how gut wrenchingly ANNOYING you are.

and wow, you're so bad. so trendy. so salty. I'm so scared. your 'RBF' is soooooo bad. stop begging it darling Xx
    Don't you think I know that. Anyway it's true. He is saying it for reps. It's kind of like that person in the group or the kid in class who just says things that everyone else says. How can that not annoy you? Who says things purposelessly?

ReputationRep:
    Since abortion is the natural process in which a foetus dies, e.g. miscarriage/stillbirth etc. and termination is the artificial process in ending the life of the foetus, I'd hope the former will never be made illegal.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, the only reason why I use the term "I believe" is because people have different ideas on when a baby's life truly starts. Even though I feel that the whole thing with life being started with conception is factually correct, many individuals have different interpretations. Of course, I know this is science, but there are many examples of science when there are different theories to one concept (for e.g. the origins of the earth, the decline of the dinosaurs) etc.

Secondly comparing the UK and US system is NOT irrelevant; it's not like I'm completely extrapolating info and twisting it to my own advantage. I did some further research, and the style of (legal) abortions in the UK is virtually identical to the US, other countries in the West, South America, Parts of India etc (unless you can prove otherwise).

Thirdly, why can't I use the word murder? Just because you don't agree with me, doesn't mean it's wrong. It's not like I'm making baseless claims without any facts; I am endeavouring to use empirical and irrefutable evidence. And if one believes that life starts at conception (Which I have backed up previously imo with facts on pregnancy), then terminating after fertilisation is technically killing a life for pro-life activists like myself. I'm not trying to demean women; I detest pro-life activists who resort to sexism and misogyny, but what I do care about is life.

When you started talking about how much it costs to run the NHS, could you point me to the sentence where I said it would solve the entire problem? It would go a long way, but I do realise there is much more work to be done. Just because it's a challenging problem, doesn't mean it's not worth doing.

Finally, I'm sorry if I don't have one, sole answer to your question. It is frankly deplorable and reprehensible to see that our poor children are being neglected, but that's kinda what I'm fighting for. I mean, though you would disagree with me intensely, I'm trying to save children's lives so I'm no monster. Your question is complex and intricate and should be treated on a person by person basis. Our NHS is underfunded; simple as that. And we as the citizens of the UK need to push the government to reform. There's no easy answer to your question, but what these poor children need is love, comfort, attention, money and education. It's not easy, mind you, but terminating a life is NOT the answer. No matter what our ideological differences, we have to work together to make the lives of children and mothers' better. Abortion, in my opinion, is simply not a valid answer.
    All fair comment but on reflection the one thing that riles me about the anti abortion camp is that the consequences of their desires don't affect them. You will likely never need an abortion or be in the situation where an unwanted child turns your life upside down, yet you are advocating that others be denied that choice to make a decision about their own lives.

It is similar to those who advocate that teenagers should not have birth control. They are not the ones who have to pick up the pieces.

You are campaigning for something that will cause a big problem for many, and at no point are you either proposing a solution or offering to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikey)
    I would oppose abortion being made illegal. I fully support a woman's right to do what she feels is right for herself, and I think it's wrong that someone else should have the power to dictate what someone can and can't do with their own body and life.

I totally understand your opinion however with the Pro-life movement our aim is to not impose guilt upon those who have had abortions because our aim is to be compassionate however I do not think those who believe life starts at conception are not forcing anyone not to have an abortion because that is not fair and it is understandable as to why sometimes women have an abortion. Yes the womb is hers, yes the umbilical cord is hers however the baby has his/her own body therefore killing a life would be the same as murder? What is your opinion on Christianity limiting the safe access on abortion? ( for a school project!) thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimzee59)
    What if a woman was raped and then became pregnant because of it. What if the woman had a condition that if she gave birth, she would die. While I don't agree with ending the life of an unborn child before they're born for no reason, there are things that should be taken into consideration instead of making it completely illegal

Yes you are right however being a part of the pro-life movement it is not right to take the marginal case and apply it to all since less than 1% of abortions are performed on women who have been raped. The rapist should be castrated and put on trial however the baby should not be punished. Do you not think killing the most defenseless and innocence among us contradicts out moral code of society? Also, from accounts I have read about women who have been raped and who have had abortions claim that it causes more harm then good. Thank you for your opinion and what is your opinion on the safe access to abortions. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Ok. I get it. you're in for the reps. But you just sound like a robot. Or like you're hypnotised. This sounds like an automated answer seeking approval and easy "hear, hear!"s. Not what a critical thinker would say.
    I still think it's a correct answer though. Abortion should never be made illegal, there are many reasons for people to want to terminate the pregnancy. Besides, mistakes can happen, some people may begin to feel depressed with it and the population is too high as it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisa_chara)
    I totally understand your opinion however with the Pro-life movement our aim is to not impose guilt upon those who have had abortions because our aim is to be compassionate however I do not think those who believe life starts at conception are not forcing anyone not to have an abortion because that is not fair and it is understandable as to why sometimes women have an abortion. Yes the womb is hers, yes the umbilical cord is hers however the baby has his/her own body therefore killing a life would be the same as murder? What is your opinion on Christianity limiting the safe access on abortion? ( for a school project!) thank you
    Well no, because I don't consider a foetus to be a human being therefore it isn't murder in my eyes.

My opinion on that is that it is disgusting. I'm not a fan of organised religion anyway, but that's another discussion.

ReputationRep:
    Ok. I get it. you're in for the reps. But you just sound like a robot. Or like you're hypnotised. This sounds like an automated answer seeking approval and easy "hear, hear!"s. Not what a critical thinker would say.
    If there’s a post that’s “in it for the reps” it’s not that one !! that’s just a generic pro choice post, completely harmless !! Xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.