Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm writing my personal statement to do law at uni and I'm honestly stuck. I don't have any extra curriculars so I have no clue what to write about. I have some work experience in a law firm and my grades are decent but what can I do to stand out?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Okay so you've done some work experience - good. You now need to think about what you actually experienced and what you learnt from it. Did you go to court? Was this perhaps the first time you'd seen a trial? Was it different from how you expected? These are the sorts of questions you need to ask yourself when writing your PS. Not everyone has the opportunity to have work experience, SO USE IT.

As law isn't a commonly taught subject at GCSE/A level, what universities are looking for is for you to show that you know what the law courses entail and that you actually have an interest in it. Tell the universities why you've chosen to study the subject. Do you have lawyers in the family? Did something in the news inspire you?

Obviously don't lie or exaggerate too much but try and use any connection you have to law to try and properly sell yourself. It's hard to find something unique, as you probably haven't studied the subject so you can't talk about your favourite part as such.

Have a look on here for inspiration: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...nal-statements

ReputationRep:
    thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you show in your personal statement that you understand the realities of studying/working in law because there are many misconceptions about it. Make sure you have shown that you know is not all glamour and suits.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You need to focus on your interests in the academic side of law - work experience is the best one for this. Remember that you are not applying to be a lawyer at this stage

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.