Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is my GCSE English grade good enough for oxbridge? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I’m currently in Year 12 doing A levels. I did IGCSE English in June and had gotten my results in August. I was happy with nearly all of my grades. I got 6 A*s 1A 1B and 2 Cs. The Cs were in English Language and Literature. I was extremely disappointed in my English grade since I worked so hard and I was wondering whether or not it will affect my chances of getting into Oxbridge. Also I’m applying next year as a home student and the course I’ll be applying for is Economics. Thank you!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Most unis want B's in english
    You should retake it

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge don't put too much weighting on GCSE's - as long as your predicted grades for your A levels are strong then that should be okay. They would rather see an improvement as you start A levels than a retake as far as I'm aware. As long as you've passed it by attaining a C - which you have - you should be alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zahraahmedish)
    Most unis want B's in english
    You should retake it
    yehhh not all uni's want a B in english , oxbridge might but not all of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uglyguyy)
    I’m currently in Year 12 doing A levels. I did IGCSE English in June and had gotten my results in August. I was happy with nearly all of my grades. I got 6 A*s 1A 1B and 2 Cs. The Cs were in English Language and Literature. I was extremely disappointed in my English grade since I worked so hard and I was wondering whether or not it will affect my chances of getting into Oxbridge. Also I’m applying next year as a home student and the course I’ll be applying for is Economics. Thank you!
    Oxbridge would be fine with 2 Cs. Other unis, however, may not be.

ReputationRep:
    Hey hey, what kind of school do you go to? Private, state comp, or state grammar? And how good is it? This information is needed to contextualise your results and thus provide an informed answer.

Secondly, are you taking AS levels or are you just sitting A2s? What are you predicted?

ReputationRep:
    Oxford put fairly heavy weighting on GCSEs so maybe avoid applying to it. However, Cambridge will accept Cs in English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asox)
    Oxbridge don't put too much weighting on GCSE's - as long as your predicted grades for your A levels are strong then that should be okay. They would rather see an improvement as you start A levels than a retake as far as I'm aware. As long as you've passed it by attaining a C - which you have - you should be alright.
    Ok that’s good to know, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parliament)
    Hey hey, what kind of school do you go to? Private, state comp, or state grammar? And how good is it? This information is needed to contextualise your results and thus provide an informed answer.

Secondly, are you taking AS levels or are you just sitting A2s? What are you predicted?
    I’ve been living outside the uk for a couple of years now but I’m applying as a home student, I go to an international school so students did pretty well in their GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uglyguyy)
    I’ve been living outside the uk for a couple of years now but I’m applying as a home student, I go to an international school so students did pretty well in their GCSEs.
    Give applying a go obviously, but be wary that because your school was good, Oxbridge will see the reason for you under-performing in English as you, rather than your school. This will count against you, but on the bright side you're applying for Economics so English isn't so crucial.

Oxbridge both weigh GCSEs quite heavily, especially now that many candidates aren't taking AS levels. This means that GCSEs are the only formal public exams they have to go off when deciding whether or not to make you an offer.

ReputationRep:
    retake

ReputationRep:
    i think oxford will probably have an issue with the grades (as amazing as they are) i’ve heard they put a lot more weighting on gcses than other unis but cambridge shouldn’t be a problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parliament)
    Give applying a go obviously, but be wary that because your school was good, Oxbridge will see the reason for you under-performing in English as you, rather than your school. This will count against you, but on the bright side you're applying for Economics so English isn't so crucial.

Oxbridge both weigh GCSEs quite heavily, especially now that many candidates aren't taking AS levels. This means that GCSEs are the only formal public exams they have to go off when deciding whether or not to make you an offer.
    Alright, and I’m actually doing AS levels this year since my exam board is CIE

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.