Is my GCSE English grade good enough for oxbridge? Watch

uglyguyy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m currently in Year 12 doing A levels. I did IGCSE English in June and had gotten my results in August. I was happy with nearly all of my grades. I got 6 A*s 1A 1B and 2 Cs. The Cs were in English Language and Literature. I was extremely disappointed in my English grade since I worked so hard and I was wondering whether or not it will affect my chances of getting into Oxbridge. Also I’m applying next year as a home student and the course I’ll be applying for is Economics. Thank you!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
zahraahmedish
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Most unis want B's in english
You should retake it
asox
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oxbridge don't put too much weighting on GCSE's - as long as your predicted grades for your A levels are strong then that should be okay. They would rather see an improvement as you start A levels than a retake as far as I'm aware. As long as you've passed it by attaining a C - which you have - you should be alright.
Ray_Shadows
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zahraahmedish)
Most unis want B's in english
You should retake it
yehhh not all uni's want a B in english , oxbridge might but not all of them
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by uglyguyy)
I’m currently in Year 12 doing A levels. I did IGCSE English in June and had gotten my results in August. I was happy with nearly all of my grades. I got 6 A*s 1A 1B and 2 Cs. The Cs were in English Language and Literature. I was extremely disappointed in my English grade since I worked so hard and I was wondering whether or not it will affect my chances of getting into Oxbridge. Also I’m applying next year as a home student and the course I’ll be applying for is Economics. Thank you!
Oxbridge would be fine with 2 Cs. Other unis, however, may not be.
Parliament
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey hey, what kind of school do you go to? Private, state comp, or state grammar? And how good is it? This information is needed to contextualise your results and thus provide an informed answer.

Secondly, are you taking AS levels or are you just sitting A2s? What are you predicted?
Marcus T
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oxford put fairly heavy weighting on GCSEs so maybe avoid applying to it. However, Cambridge will accept Cs in English.
uglyguyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by asox)
Oxbridge don't put too much weighting on GCSE's - as long as your predicted grades for your A levels are strong then that should be okay. They would rather see an improvement as you start A levels than a retake as far as I'm aware. As long as you've passed it by attaining a C - which you have - you should be alright.
Ok that’s good to know, thank you
uglyguyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Parliament)
Hey hey, what kind of school do you go to? Private, state comp, or state grammar? And how good is it? This information is needed to contextualise your results and thus provide an informed answer.

Secondly, are you taking AS levels or are you just sitting A2s? What are you predicted?
I’ve been living outside the uk for a couple of years now but I’m applying as a home student, I go to an international school so students did pretty well in their GCSEs.
Parliament
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by uglyguyy)
I’ve been living outside the uk for a couple of years now but I’m applying as a home student, I go to an international school so students did pretty well in their GCSEs.
Give applying a go obviously, but be wary that because your school was good, Oxbridge will see the reason for you under-performing in English as you, rather than your school. This will count against you, but on the bright side you're applying for Economics so English isn't so crucial.

Oxbridge both weigh GCSEs quite heavily, especially now that many candidates aren't taking AS levels. This means that GCSEs are the only formal public exams they have to go off when deciding whether or not to make you an offer.
tyson69
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
retake
clouddbubbles
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i think oxford will probably have an issue with the grades (as amazing as they are) i’ve heard they put a lot more weighting on gcses than other unis but cambridge shouldn’t be a problem
uglyguyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Parliament)
Give applying a go obviously, but be wary that because your school was good, Oxbridge will see the reason for you under-performing in English as you, rather than your school. This will count against you, but on the bright side you're applying for Economics so English isn't so crucial.

Oxbridge both weigh GCSEs quite heavily, especially now that many candidates aren't taking AS levels. This means that GCSEs are the only formal public exams they have to go off when deciding whether or not to make you an offer.
Alright, and I’m actually doing AS levels this year since my exam board is CIE
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (139)
17.62%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9.38%
No I am happy with my course choice (464)
58.81%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (112)
14.2%

Watched Threads