Can I enter straight into 3rd year (BSc) if I have DipHE? Watch

SpiralV
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
DipHE is awarded after passing the first two years of BSc at university (if e.g a student fails the final year).

If with DipHE I apply to enter straight into the 3rd year i.e. the final year of a BSc, will I be accepted (assuming that my previous two years of study covers the same modules as the first two years of the new university course for which I would be applying)? Do you know if others have done it?

Thanks.
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Spiral1977)
DipHE is awarded after passing the first two years of BSc at university (if e.g a student fails the final year).

If with DipHE I apply to enter straight into the 3rd year i.e. the final year of a BSc, will I be accepted (assuming that my previous two years of study covers the same modules as the first two years of the new university course for which I would be applying)? Do you know if others have done it?
I can't see how "covers the same modules" has any real chance of making sense if you're applying to a different university. (e.g. a "complex analysis" could cover very different material depending on the university; in one place it might be essentially a maths-methods course, whereas somewhere else might concentrate much more heavily on theory).

Best chance for it to make sense would have to be the university you completed the first two years at.

Otherwise, you're likely to be starting the 3rd year at a disadvantage, and given (I assume, and with no offense meant) you're probably in this situation because of having not done too well academically in the past, I don't see many universities wanting to take that kind of chance.

At the end of the day, all you can do is ask, although I suggest you look *carefully* at the syllabus for the 2nd/3rd years at any university you are considering, and decide whether you have indeed covered the necessary material.
Leb1979
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I think that’s rude to assume they hadn’t done too well academically in the past. I am about to gain a DipHe as I am unable at present to continue due to financial reasons. I have in fact received distinctions in every assignment I have competed at both level 1 and level 2. There are many reasons why people have a DipHe, not only if you fail the third year.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?