Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm currently looking into Russia for my year abroad next year (it's compulsory as I'm ab initio), and I was hoping someone would be able to help me out with experiences/preferences/advice. My current options are between Yaroslavl Language Centre and HSE Moscow, although if anyone has any other places that they'd recommend i'll be more than grateful!
    I just want to know if there are any major cons to either one, and just which one would be better because I honestly cannot choose at the moment! 😊
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerdyapple)
    So, I'm currently looking into Russia for my year abroad next year (it's compulsory as I'm ab initio), and I was hoping someone would be able to help me out with experiences/preferences/advice. My current options are between Yaroslavl Language Centre and HSE Moscow, although if anyone has any other places that they'd recommend i'll be more than grateful!
    I just want to know if there are any major cons to either one, and just which one would be better because I honestly cannot choose at the moment! 😊
    Is it possible to spend one term in Yaroslavl and one term in Moscow? I remember a student of Russian telling me that their uni advised students not to spend their whole year in Moscow/Petersburg, and getting out into the regions can be very helpful for your language skills.

ReputationRep:
    That would solve all my problems! Unfortunately the Uni in Moscow will only accept year long placements, hence my current dilemma... im not particularly sold on the whole splitting the year idea anyway because I feel like once i’ve settled in one place and made friends etc. I’d have to move and start from scratch all over again...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.