Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Suggested places for volunteering for a Future Engineering Career Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I've just started my a levels, however I've decided to start looking for volunteering opportunities. My aim in life is to become an engineer, preferably Civil or Aerospace.

Any suggests for companies or places to apply for volunteering that would help me out in the future? (UK based please)

I've tried looking for someplace, but most websites are very helpful with clarifying whether it's help...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, there's no need. Just focus on doing as well as possible in your relevant A-level subjects - that's realistically all universities are going to look for. If it's available, you could compete in the BMO, or for the Big Bang Fair. If you're particularly interested in environmental engineering you could try and arrange some e.g. river clean up events or something, but even that's really barely relevant.

For non-clinical STEM subjects, they really care about your academic ability in the relevant subject areas, first and foremost. Anything else - PS, wider reading, volunteering, work experience - is really not very useful for them, because they realise due to the nature of the subjects and the wider reading or voluntary/work experience you can get, it's going to be somewhat trivial. The main thing would be to do wider reading or maybe see if you can do some shadowing to understand the nature of an engineering career, which is more for your benefit to see if you actually want to pursue it. You aren't going to score points with universities for this, and if you're 1000% certain you're going to pursue this then it's really a waste of your time.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweety___)
    Hey guys, I've just started my a levels, however I've decided to start looking for volunteering opportunities. My aim in life is to become an engineer, preferably Civil or Aerospace.

Any suggests for companies or places to apply for volunteering that would help me out in the future? (UK based please)

I've tried looking for someplace, but most websites are very helpful with clarifying whether it's help...
    Help out with what? If it's securing a university place, it's going to make little, if any difference - admissions are primarily cared about grades.

If it is to help out with your career, I would look into a year in industry for between your A-levels and university. This isn't actually volunteering, as it will be paid. But engineering is commercial, so there aren't really that many directly related volunteering opportunities.

You could look into becoming a STEM Ambassador. Some companies encourage their staff to do this, and it is something that may allow you to meet with engineers, as well as develop key skills, such as communication. There's also Engineers Without Borders - not something I know much about, but I've heard people talk about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.