Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It was investable that my sleep pattern would be totally thrown off when I started uni but now freshers is over and we’re 5 weeks in I’m finding it difficult to fall asleep at all, it probably took me 2 hours to fall asleep last night just lying there. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Two hours? You have it easy. What I find works is (although I'm mostly too lazy to) just to wake up really early, (five worked well for me) then eventually I just get so tired that I fall asleep when I need to.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried reading a book or watching TV? That might help if it’s taking you a while to sleep. Perhaps getting into a routine before bed might help- having a bath, doing yoga, reading a book, not using your phone etc. Might be worth taking herbal tablets or get some sleeping tablets if it’s really serious. Hope this helps 🙂
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    What are you doing the hour before bed? I find if I'm using my laptop, it takes forever to wind down. But if I'm just watching TV, it's easier and quicker to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    Try not to use your phone or computer right before you sleep, I find it very hard to sleep right after using it. Instead, read a book, write something in your diary. You might also want to search youtube videos to help you sleep. It works really well for me.

ReputationRep:
    Getting sunlight during the day greatly contributes toward fixing your sleep pattern.
    You can find it online that there's a scientific consensus on the body using sunlight to calibrate its biological rhythm.

ReputationRep:
    Ey, try sleeping pills for a couple of days and see if you can restart your biological clock. You should avoid using your phone before going to bed, eating spicy foods before bed or drinking coffee too much during the day. I stopped doing all three when I had a bad streak of no sleep and it worked, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellaedwardsxo)
    It was investable that my sleep pattern would be totally thrown off when I started uni but now freshers is over and we’re 5 weeks in I’m finding it difficult to fall asleep at all, it probably took me 2 hours to fall asleep last night just lying there. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do?
    Avoid any bright artificial lights (TV, Laptop/Computer, your Mobile etc) as they emit a very large amount of Blue Light which tricks your body into thinking it's day time (I remember reading something like mobile phones can emit the same amount of blue light as looking at the sun) and stops producing your sleep hormone. That usually lasts around 1 hour after looking at blue light.

However, for your mobile device, download a Blue Light filter (Or check your phone settings in case it has one preinstalled). This filters the blue light, so you can still use your mobile without it messing with your sleep and your body can continue producing sleep hormones. It makes your phone screen slightly Orange-ish but you get used to it quickly and you can set it to activate the filter as set times so it's normal in day time.

Android (And maybe iOS): "Twilight" or "Blue Light Filter"
    Windows 10: Check your settings for "Night Light"
    Windows 8.1 or before: Google it there are programs that do this but I can't remember their names.

As for other things, try to use a lamp and not main lights before bed, don't do mentally resourcing tasks close to bed time and if all else fails, stay awake doing stuff til early morning then wake up around 4-5 hours later. Caution, you will feel terrible throughout the day and will likely need coffee regularly, but the next night you should find it easier to sleep. That will hopefully help you reset your body clock.

(Also, Insomnia's main issue is the common anxiety is causes. It's the vicious cycle of you worrying you're going to have insomnia, which keeps your mind busy, and the anxiety keeps you awake, and repeat. Instead, try to clear your mind and ignore the nagging of worry. Count deep breaths or watch something on YouTube etc (with blue light filter on) to preoccupy you and you should drop off to sleep.

I am common for insomnia sometimes, but these tips ^ 90% of the time help me stay out of the vicious cycle or help me sleep so it may hopefully help you

ReputationRep:
    Do a quick “body scan”, it’s a meditation that takes less than 10 mins - always helps to relax me and make me fall asleep quicker

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.