Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...63/unknown.png

I found the formula for the sum for this sequence and it turns out to be

S_n =F_{n+2} -1

So i tried to add the 2 numbers you see there and get 288 and take 1 you get 287 but of course this isn't the right number

so i decided to find the general solution which happened to be

a_n =\dfrac{1}{\sqrt 5} \cdot  \left(\dfrac{1+\sqrt 5}{2} \right)^n - \dfrac{1}{\sqrt 5} \cdot \left(\dfrac{1-\sqrt 5}{2} \right)^n

and the 12th term happens to be 377 and i took 1 off of this and it's still wrong, i don't get where i'm going wrong.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp2)
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...63/unknown.png

I found the formula for the sum for this sequence and it turns out to be

S_n =F_{n+2} -1

So i tried to add the 2 numbers you see there and get 288 and take 1 you get 287 but of course this isn't the right number

so i decided to find the general solution which happened to be

a_n =\dfrac{1}{\sqrt 5} \cdot  \left(\dfrac{1+\sqrt 5}{2} \right)^n - \dfrac{1}{\sqrt 5} \cdot \left(\dfrac{1-\sqrt 5}{2} \right)^n

and the 12th term happens to be 377 and i took 1 off of this and it's still wrong, i don't get where i'm going wrong.
    S_{12}=F_{14}-1 so you need n=14 in the Fibonacci number formula.

Why do they say that F_{12}=F_{13}=144...? That's not right.

F_{12}=144 and F_{13}=233

Did you derive the correct relation for S_n?

ReputationRep:
    It's possible there's some confusion between "nth term" and a_n, given they start the series with a_0.

That said, under their definitions we get the sum

1+1+2+3+5+8+13+21+34+55+89+144=3 76

I can't really see how that's debatable (i.e. if there is confusion, it's them who are confused...)

ReputationRep:
    Your expression for S_n is correct and your answer is definitely correct, if the value for F_{13} was indeed a typo. I'm not sure how you could possible get F_{12} = F_{13} = 144 on the off-chance it's not a typo though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    S_{12}=F_{14}-1 so you need n=14 in the Fibonacci number formula.

Why do they say that F_{12}=F_{13}=144...? That's not right.

F_{12}=144 and F_{13}=233

Did you derive the correct relation for S_n?
    sorry i meant that the 14th term is actually 377 my bad. The 12th term si actually 144 tho but the 13th term certainly isn't 144 i was confused by that too which is why i got the general solution.

But i have no idea how to derive that , hence i used this "trusty" site and found it out.
    https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-su...bonacci-series

ReputationRep:
    Couple of notes: you're not "supposed" to just add it up, but note that it only really takes a few seconds to do this by hand. Worth remembering when you need to do this in an exam.

Similarly, the formula you give is probably more hassle than it's worth until about the 377 term.

Finally, for n > 2 (or so), you can ignore the 2nd term in the formula and instead just pick the closest integer to the 1st term. Saves time + effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    It's possible there's some confusion between "nth term" and a_n, given they start the series with a_0.

That said, under their definitions we get the sum

1+1+2+3+5+8+13+21+34+55+89+144=3 76

I can't really see how that's debatable (i.e. if there is confusion, it's them who are confused...)
    HOLY MOLEY I WAS RIGHT? What is this, a miracle?
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Your expression for S_n is correct and your answer is definitely correct, if the value for F_{13} was indeed a typo. I'm not sure how you could possible get F_{12} = F_{13} = 144 on the off-chance it's not a typo though...
    HAHA LOL YOU THOUGHT IT WAS A TYPO? LOOK AGAIN

(btw i had to refresh the page so different numbers came up)
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...00/unknown.png
    Couple of notes: you're not "supposed" to just add it up, but note that it only really takes a few seconds to do this by hand. Worth remembering when you need to do this in an exam.

Similarly, the formula you give is probably more hassle than it's worth until about the 377 term.

Finally, for n > 2 (or so), you can ignore the 2nd term in the formula and instead just pick the closest integer to the 1st term. Saves time + effort.
    not quite sure i understand this

ReputationRep:
    HOLY MOLEY I WAS RIGHT? What is this, a miracle?

HAHA LOL YOU THOUGHT IT WAS A TYPO? LOOK AGAIN

(btw i had to refresh the page so different numbers came up)
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...00/unknown.png

The only way that could possibly make sense would be if F_{n} = F_{n-1} + F_{n-2} except when n=24, where F_{24} = 28,657, which would be pretty weird.

ReputationRep:
    e.g.

n = 10, \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{5}} \left(\dfrac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2} \right)^n = 55.0036361...; nearest integer is 55.

n = 20, \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{5}} \left(\dfrac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2} \right)^n = 6,765.0000296...; nearest integer is 6765

ReputationRep:
    e.g.

n = 10, \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{5}} \left(\dfrac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2} \right)^n = 55.0036361...; nearest integer is 55.

n = 20, \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{5}} \left(\dfrac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2} \right)^n = 6,765.0000296...; nearest integer is 6765
    Oh so it gives quite a good accurate approximation

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.