Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

if there was another general election who would win? Watch

ReputationRep:
    No one would get a majority
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    I find your views peculiar given that you seem to be quite an interventionist Tory but prefer the economic liberals in the party.

I think quite a lot of Tories are trying to comfort themselves by pinning the blame on May but she's not responsible really. Rather it's that many young professionals are seeing their wages stagnate and public services weaken, as the price of housing, even to rent, has destroyed people's dream of owning properties.

The only Tory who seems to get this is Ruth Davidson, while much of your party pines for Rees Mogg.
    I'm somewhat interventionist on public services and infrastructure i suppose but i'm fairly radical on tax and spend. I like a wide range of Tories, ranging from the hawks to the doves depending on the issue.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Parliamentary makeup would probably not massively change, maybe some labour gains but nowhere near enough to form a majority... Unless Corbyn and Labour magically run a campaign which sounds more realistic to implement. (Conservatives would definitely run a better campaign next time - especially if we end up with a new Tory leader)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I'm somewhat interventionist on public services and infrastructure i suppose but i'm fairly radical on tax and spend. I like a wide range of Tories, ranging from the hawks to the doves depending on the issue.
    Didn't you used to say that if the right lost the economic argument, they deserve to lose?

It seems they are losing their stranglehold on the economic argument by the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Scotland is certainly crucial - will the SNP continue to suffer losses in the next election? This seems likely, particularly as Corbynite Labour is much closer to the political views of a majority of working class voters in the biggest Scottish urban areas.

The other key battleground though is less promising for Labour - the sort of lower-middle-to-upper-working class seats that are found abundantly in the West Midlands and North West. Labour did not make nearly enough inroads in these areas last time. It was striking that they took a number of target seats in the E. Midlands and South, but hardly any in those areas. There is a big job that Labour are going to have to do of trying to persuade those groups that they are more trustworthy than the Tories.
    It's a shame Bornblue has to delete my posts/move them to random hidden forums when he loses the argument.

Labour can pick up potentially 20 seats from the SNP if they run a good campaign in Scotland, but they are a long way from a majority, and post-Brexit they will lose the "soft"-brexit Remain vote.

Labour still need a 3.5% swing to scrape a majority.

ReputationRep:
    Nigel farage

ReputationRep:
    This isnt US & we don't have cretins as citizens so won't elect a thtowback fogey who'll ruin the UK with his 1960's policies & ideas. Corbyn NEVER

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have a horrible feeling Labour could just about do it maybe with the SNP (that's if they dont lose more seats). Unless Labour gets a more centre leader that's 'likeable' (not to like the Blairs and Browns as that would damage the party further!). I genuinely believe if someone like David Milliband run for Labour in this years snap election, they would have won at least a small majority.

JC is becoming more popular with people though, I think they're going to find it hard to win over elderly people still.

It's going to be minority government galore for a couple more years.

The problem is the tories now look stale and dull and the excitement is all in labours court. I personally hope it's not labour though!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.