The Student Room Group

can doing additional qualifications invalidate a ucas qualification?

so long story my a levels did not go according to plan and i am far from happy here for a number of reasons= (i wont say where here is)
i have contacted a few universities about the possibility of a transfer if i do well in the first year despite a sub par a level performance. There was reasons but that is another story for another time.
I am willing to restart from year 1 at another university but here is the thing.
I dont have any definite confirmations of offers because i cant apply until i have some grades on the board.
the issue is I wont have much on the board until exam time when A levels +step will likely start soon after.
I cannot know if i will get successful replies right away (successful reply been in the form of an offer which looks realistic) before A level exams but wouldnt want to get a first then blow it by getting a B at the A level repeat etc.
so if I applied with just my degree scores and predictions in early June/late may and got offers based on that,
but then after that had decided to sit A level and step papers would invalidate the application? because technically ive only done extra not less.
and i decided to do extra after the application?
Reply 1
Personally, if I were unhappy with the my course and the social aspects- I would weigh the pros and cons of dropping out of the year totally. For one thing, I think if you’re not enjoying it all, you maybe won’t try for it as much, and it is of course a flat £9k plus living costs. Also, as well as retrying your exams, you’d maybe have time to fully concentrate on a new application and maybe be able to get some work experience.

On the other hand, you’re there now, and I’d recommend talking to the student support services ASAP, if you’ve not done already! If it’s going well and your attending all you can then keep at it.

I did a foundation year at a certain university and was completely unhappy with the place and the accommodation, and realised I didn’t want to go to that University after all and managed to get a place where I am now with the foundation qualification, and I love it- got so much more out of it so far than I ever did there.

Don’t let it get you down too much- I know it’s hard but you’re realising you’re unhappy now, and not further into your degree!
Perhaps start speaking to your old college/sixth form and see what they say too?

And nope- I applied with my foundation year qualification, and also my A-Levels. Maybe it’s not the same, but your qualifications stay with you for life!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Fant
Personally, if I were unhappy with the my course and the social aspects- I would weigh the pros and cons of dropping out of the year totally. For one thing, I think if you’re not enjoying it all, you maybe won’t try for it as much, and it is of course a flat £9k plus living costs. Also, as well as retrying your exams, you’d maybe have time to fully concentrate on a new application and maybe be able to get some work experience.

On the other hand, you’re there now, and I’d recommend talking to the student support services ASAP, if you’ve not done already! If it’s going well and your attending all you can then keep at it.

I did a foundation year at a certain university and was completely unhappy with the place and the accommodation, and realised I didn’t want to go to that University after all and managed to get a place where I am now with the foundation qualification, and I love it- got so much more out of it so far than I ever did there.

Don’t let it get you down too much- I know it’s hard but you’re realising you’re unhappy now, and not further into your degree!
Perhaps start speaking to your old college/sixth form and see what they say too?

And nope- I applied with my foundation year qualification, and also my A-Levels. Maybe it’s not the same, but your qualifications stay with you for life!

thing is going self taught or even (through a college to late for that now) do not have predicted grades or if college they might question it if they predicted me higher grades university admission staff actually said that to me. where as at my current university they do have good teaching and 20 hours of lectures a week, which means I will get to a higher standard here then by myself. I just mean I dont want to graduate from here.

with a good reference from here (though how i ask for a reference for a transfer I do not know) and some decent scores on the board I might stand a chance at better.

I am also subsidized to an extent by my parents who would not subsidize me if i just dropped out and went to repeat the a level. So this is my best chance and when you factor in how much I would have to pay for exams the difficulty of getting offers and the lack of support from my parents, it probably works out cheaper staying put and seeing the year out then dropping out and sitting A level plus I am more likely to get an offer this way.

I am just slightly worried that other universities may or may not take this first year seriously. The general consensus apart from one particular professor of a university that wont be named is "the first year of university is more advanced then A level so a first in first year counts more then an A at level for them"
however " its not an exact overlap so their may be gaps which may be a problem so they would need to see the course breakdown" and "I should apply when i have the result of my first year"

that is the issue if i wait until I have the result and then its good but they say sorry gap etc im stuck. if i submit an application with some results (uni exams in may) and we get marks back plus coursework marks as we go sporadically it might stand a chance, but then I could apply based only on the first year of the degree and if I do not receive offers before exam then i sit the A level and have backup if no offer, but if I get an offer it based on the degree so best of both worlds.

I am just trying to find out if their is a flaw in this plan?
Reply 3
Original post by Luke7456
thing is going self taught or even (through a college to late for that now) do not have predicted grades or if college they might question it if they predicted me higher grades university admission staff actually said that to me. where as at my current university they do have good teaching and 20 hours of lectures a week, which means I will get to a higher standard here then by myself. I just mean I dont want to graduate from here.

with a good reference from here (though how i ask for a reference for a transfer I do not know) and some decent scores on the board I might stand a chance at better.

I am also subsidized to an extent by my parents who would not subsidize me if i just dropped out and went to repeat the a level. So this is my best chance and when you factor in how much I would have to pay for exams the difficulty of getting offers and the lack of support from my parents, it probably works out cheaper staying put and seeing the year out then dropping out and sitting A level plus I am more likely to get an offer this way.

I am just slightly worried that other universities may or may not take this first year seriously. The general consensus apart from one particular professor of a university that wont be named is "the first year of university is more advanced then A level so a first in first year counts more then an A at level for them"
however " its not an exact overlap so their may be gaps which may be a problem so they would need to see the course breakdown" and "I should apply when i have the result of my first year"

that is the issue if i wait until I have the result and then its good but they say sorry gap etc im stuck. if i submit an application with some results (uni exams in may) and we get marks back plus coursework marks as we go sporadically it might stand a chance, but then I could apply based only on the first year of the degree and if I do not receive offers before exam then i sit the A level and have backup if no offer, but if I get an offer it based on the degree so best of both worlds.

I am just trying to find out if their is a flaw in this plan?

Ah ok, well you seem to definitely know what you want there!

You’re probably having the same worry I did - I applied in December but didn’t have any solid predictions. I’m sure many people are in the same boat, and I’ve known people to move after there first year (friend of mine moved from Swansea to Sheffield).

I think maybe you just need to take a risk with it, and if it doesn’t go to plan, then you’re in University and you can always continue there. Of course, there’s always clearing for the A-Level students, so if worst comes to worst, you could use that as a kind of last resort for starting in the first year again.
You do seem very committed and your heart set on it, so I don’t think you would have much trouble with getting where you want.

When I applied, they looked at my A-Levels and took a chance on me- they told me “You need to get at least 70% to get in.” This was of course, a foundation year, but I had an interview and such, so they knew me in a way.

Maybe just keep talking to universities- first year drop out rates are often high so there’s always going to be places in second year for you.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending