Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Y11 atm and I'm having trouble choosing my A-Levels
    My choices
    definitely choosing: Chemistry, Maths.
    can't decide: Further Maths, Biology, Physics, Psychology.
    I'm also considering taking a Music AS
    I want to go into either medical science or aerospace later on, but I am very interested in mental illnesses and that kind of stuff and I am considering it as an option if I go into medicine, if that doesn't work out, then it'll end up being brain stuff.
    I'm much better at maths and sciences but I have heard that it's better to have a range of different subjects.
    Oh and I'm definitely going to be taking four A-Levels XD
    Any help or advice would be appreciated ^^
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    it doesn't really matter to be honest,

I was doing History and sociology 1st year a level, ended up redoing the year and taking two sciences and history. (right now)

just do what you want I guess, its no big deal, career path isn't set in stone.

ReputationRep:
    Do you plan on going to uni? If so, do you have any ideas on which ones?

ReputationRep:
    Let me try this again because i keep messing up:

Hi!
    I do FM, Maths, Physics, Chemistry with a view to Aerospace so I thought I'd try and weigh in a little.
    FM is great! However it's not absolutely necessary, I'd only suggest it in 1 of 2 scenarios:
    1) If you have a view to do Maths or Engineering, or some sort of STEM field, in that rough area, at university (I'm talking like top tier).
    2) If you really love Maths! Usually people who satisfy that first criterion will meet this one too.

FM will only be an inconvenience for Medical School, some may have policies as counting maths/fm as a single A Level, you must do research and check on Med Schools.

My first piece of advice is to seriously consider, and make some sort of rough decision on direction SOON, this will give you much more clarity when choosing,
    i.e a good one for Aero is FM, Maths, Phys, Chem
    and a good one for Med is Maths, Biology, Chemistry, something else,

If you REALLY can't decide, i'd only suggest Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology as a last resort if you were sure you could handle it and you could do it, then at the end of Y12, make a decision and perhaps drop one (or maybe even take 4 to A2 if you have the willpower).

ReputationRep:
    Don't do Psychology, you'll regret it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeacupAndTragedy)
    Do you plan on going to uni? If so, do you have any ideas on which ones?
    I definitely know I want to go to uni but I'm not sure which uni, I do want to aim high, though. Being ambitious, russel group

ReputationRep:
    if you can do 4 then do biology and physics and by end of year 12 you can choose either aerospace or medicine
    edit: you can drop the AS least appropriate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AryanGh)
    Let me try this again because i keep messing up:

Hi!
    I do FM, Maths, Physics, Chemistry with a view to Aerospace so I thought I'd try and weigh in a little.
    FM is great! However it's not absolutely necessary, I'd only suggest it in 1 of 2 scenarios:
    1) If you have a view to do Maths or Engineering, or some sort of STEM field, in that rough area, at university (I'm talking like top tier).
    2) If you really love Maths! Usually people who satisfy that first criterion will meet this one too.

FM will only be an inconvenience for Medical School, some may have policies as counting maths/fm as a single A Level, you must do research and check on Med Schools.

My first piece of advice is to seriously consider, and make some sort of rough decision on direction SOON, this will give you much more clarity when choosing,
    i.e a good one for Aero is FM, Maths, Phys, Chem
    and a good one for Med is Maths, Biology, Chemistry, something else,

If you REALLY can't decide, i'd only suggest Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology as a last resort if you were sure you could handle it and you could do it, then at the end of Y12, make a decision and perhaps drop one (or maybe even take 4 to A2 if you have the willpower).
    Woah! Thank you so much for the detailed reply XD!
    I do REALLY like maths, and saying that I want to do it is more of a 'I want to do it because I know I will enjoy it', rather than 'it'll probably help me later on'. Judging by what you have said, it's probably not worth it then?
    Also, seen as you do physics, how is it compared to biology? I'm reluctant to take biology just because of the amount of fact learning...
    I'm not too worried about dropping one at the second year as I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to manage it.(idk, does that sound really ambitious) From what I've heard, quite a lot of people end up with four A-Levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HolyHumboldt)
    Don't do Psychology, you'll regret it.
    I hope you don't mind me asking but why is this?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do medicine, the majority of universities require Chemistry and Biology - maths is preferred but not completely necessary (I would check university requirements pages). As long as you have those two, universities don’t mind what you do as a third

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, more questions
    1. is it possible to go into psychology later on without a psychology a level?
    2. is 4 a levels and an AS possible at all or is it just complete fantasy?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.