The Student Room Group

University social work - mental health nursing

Wanting to go into mental health so I am trying to decided what course would be the best for me. Edge hill university do a social work and mental health course would that be good or not I am not sure if I want to be a social worker or mental health nurse?x my a levels I am current studying are health and social care diploma - sociology.
Reply 1
I’m wondering the exact same thing, except I’m just doing a BTEC Extended Diploma in Health & Social Care! It’s so confusing...
Reply 2
Same however I am doing alder hay children’s hospital work experience witch helps a lot
Original post by Tia_xx
Wanting to go into mental health so I am trying to decided what course would be the best for me. Edge hill university do a social work and mental health course would that be good or not I am not sure if I want to be a social worker or mental health nurse?x my a levels I am current studying are health and social care diploma - sociology.

I'm applying for that course! It sounds so good. But I'm applying for just mental health at other uni's
Reply 4
Original post by Tia_xx

Hello there
first of all i would like to say well done for choosing nursing, I am a registered nurse of 18 years and its very rewarding if frustrating at times,
the course you have found seems to be similar to one that sheffield Hallam university have on offer (im to sure if they still do) but if I'm correct at the end of the course you will be able to register as a mental health nurse and a social worker.
thais has many advantages especially if you are not 100 percent sure what profession you wish to be in, i would suggest you look around and find the best course for you, as a mental health nurse a lot of your work can cross with social work anyway. you need to be sure you will be able to manage the workload and that the university is attached to hospitals you are happy with.
good luck
Reply 5
Thankyou
Original post by Cathybmj
Hello there
first of all i would like to say well done for choosing nursing, I am a registered nurse of 18 years and its very rewarding if frustrating at times,
the course you have found seems to be similar to one that sheffield Hallam university have on offer (im to sure if they still do) but if I'm correct at the end of the course you will be able to register as a mental health nurse and a social worker.
thais has many advantages especially if you are not 100 percent sure what profession you wish to be in, i would suggest you look around and find the best course for you, as a mental health nurse a lot of your work can cross with social work anyway. you need to be sure you will be able to manage the workload and that the university is attached to hospitals you are happy with.
good luck
Moved to Healthcare :smile:

Quick Reply