Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It is coming to the point where I have to pick my options for A Level. I quite want to go into engineering but struggle majorly at physics. I excel in maths however and thought that that may be another way into engineering, if not another career I'd be good at. I also fancy moving in Germany/Austria from either before or after university (whichever is more financially viable). I have decided to pick maths, geography and German as my 3 A Levels. Does anyone have any idea if these could actually lead me into engineering though or should I stick to maths?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by HZ128)
    It is coming to the point where I have to pick my options for A Level. I quite want to go into engineering but struggle majorly at physics. I excel in maths however and thought that that may be another way into engineering, if not another career I'd be good at. I also fancy moving in Germany/Austria from either before or after university (whichever is more financially viable). I have decided to pick maths, geography and German as my 3 A Levels. Does anyone have any idea if these could actually lead me into engineering though?
    Normally engineering requires 2 stem subjects. Check the entrance requirements for the courses you are interested in. there are several different areas for engineering. I dont think maths alone will be enough and you will need to replace one of the others. You have to check the entrance requirements. maybe they will accept maths and further maths or computer studies.

https://university.which.co.uk/advic...me-an-engineer

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend doing at least 2 sciences (inc. maths). Take a look at physics as most of it (or so I've heard from my physic-y mates) is maths anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Engineering is mostly maths and physics so are you sure you want to do engineering?

ReputationRep:
    Engineering runs in the family and my interest in it comes in the more hands on part, so whilst I woukd want to do, realistically a better option probably would be maths

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.