Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If I move away from home, can I pay rent, bills, food and leisure activities on just my maintenance loans?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peterbokor)
    If I move away from home, can I pay rent, bills, food and leisure activities on just my maintenance loans?
    All depends on your loan amount and where you ll be living, I went to a northern uni had really cheap accommodation so managed perfectly well but it would have been different down south.

ReputationRep:
    Factor in cash from working the summer holiday, and possibly the Christmas break as casual staff - bar/waiting on/seasonal shop work etc. Some accommodation at uni isn't available in the holidays, so you might have to go back home or work away, both will save/earn money. If you know how much your accommodation is in term time, deduct it from your loan and divide what's left by 52 weeks.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peterbokor)
    Hi Peterbokor . I agree with clairestelle, this would all depend on how much loan you are entitled to and where you choose to live. Many universities offer a range of accommodation meaning there will be cheaper options such as shared halls instead on en suite halls. You may be interested in looking for some part time work alongside your studies too as many universities also offer opportunities to work on campus.

Hope this helps.

Ruth - Graduate Advocate

ReputationRep:
    That will depend on your living costs and location. Things can vary a huge amount in different areas as has already been said, so you'll need to calculate how much you can expect to pay in utilities/rent/food/leisure and how much you're entitled to borrow.

ReputationRep:
    Theoretically yes, if you budget properly, don't go out all the time, manage your cash well and don't go for the most expensive accommodation, it is perfectly reasonable and possible to live off a loan. But it'd be good to get a part-time job anyway, bit of extra money and the experience will be good

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.