Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I’m currently in year 12 at sixth form and am studying; Chemistry, Biology, Welsh Literature, Physics and the Welsh Baccalaureate (this is a compulsory a level in my school). My plan is to go and study medicine at university after year 13 so I want to make sure I do the best I can in terms of results, however I’m worried I’ll be spreading myself too thinly with 5 A Levels next year as I’m already feeling the heavy workload with AS. (I know it’s early to be thinking about this but I like to be prepared!)

I have to do Chemistry, Biology and the Welsh Bacc, but I’m not sure if I should continue with both of the others or just one. Ideally I’d like to continue with both Welsh Lit and Physics, but realistically I can see it might be too much. My dilemma is I’m not sure which one would be the best to continue on with. I know it seems obvious that I should carry on with Physics because it’s a difficult science, and they like that for medicine, but I really love doing Welsh Lit as it’s something completely different, it’s a more creative subject and out of the two it’s my favourite.

I’ve spoken to universities about this, and most say they have no preference on a third science, and others (just Cambridge pretty much) say they prefer a third science as “it’ll be more useful for medicine”.

I’d really appreciate if you could give me some advice on this and also explain your reasoning because I don’t really know what to do.

Thanks,
    Steffan X
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You don't 3 need sciences/maths unless you want to go for Oxbridge so I'd say drop Physics.

ReputationRep:
    Five A levels...yep, I can see why you'd be worried about spreading yourself thin!

I'd drop two of them and stick with three quite honestly. Biology, chemistry and whichever one you like the most and feel you can do best in.

ReputationRep:
    Do you want to get into a BMAT University
    if u do i recommend you do maths or physics
    If not
    you can drop physics

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 12 in Wales too but don't have to do Welsh. I'd recommend sticking with physics and maybe dropping Welsh, because of the BMAT and also because, if you're good at maths, physics will mean you have less to physically learn in summer.
    Then again, if you're a good linguist, stick with Welsh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PixelatedUnicorn)
    I'm in Year 12 in Wales too but don't have to do Welsh. I'd recommend sticking with physics and maybe dropping Welsh, because of the BMAT and also because, if you're good at maths, physics will mean you have less to physically learn in summer.
    Then again, if you're a good linguist, stick with Welsh.
    I chose to do Welsh and prefer it, it’s the Welsh Bacc we have to do and I hate that but we’re not allowed to drop it unfortunately:/ Thanks for the help though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Five A levels...yep, I can see why you'd be worried about spreading yourself thin!

I'd drop two of them and stick with three quite honestly. Biology, chemistry and whichever one you like the most and feel you can do best in.
    I’d love to be able to do 3 but it’s not possible unfortunately as we have to do the Welsh Bacc, which has no exams but just coursework and it’s supposed to prepare you for life but it’s useless honestly😂 I think Physics will be the one to go then.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.