Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you know how to save your pet in an emergency? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I’m doing my personal research project at uni soon and I was just wondering how many people actually know what to do in an emergency involving their pet. Do you know what to do if your dog/cat starts choking? Do you realise what is poisonous for your pets? Could you potentially resuscitate them if they were involved in a car accident?

I believe that more veterinary practices should hold classes on how to perform first aid on your animal and give general advice on what to avoid and what could save their lives.

I’d love to hear your opinions
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have a clue how to resuscitate my dog but I've got a general idea of what he can and can't eat. Think even an informational advert on that would be useful, like the one telling people how to perform CPR on humans.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what to do if your dog/cat starts choking?
    Honestly I have no idea. I'd treat it like you would a baby and hold it's stomach and pat its back?

Do you realise what is poisonous for your pets?
    I know the infamous things that you shouldn't give dogs like chocolate but it's not an extensive list.

Could you potentially resuscitate them if they were involved in a car accident?
    I would have NO idea
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much personally, but I'd be interested in finding out more if the vet near me did training or similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There's a couple of lists permanently stuck to the fridge of what's harmful for my dog to eat, one for human food and one for plants.

CPR/choking I know enough human first aid and animal anatomy I feel I could give it a fairly good go. I likely wouldn't be as successful as a professional, but that goes for me doing CPR on a human as well, something I have had proper training in.

ReputationRep:
    Try and revive my cat with a chicken wing maybe and if that doesn't work...panic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantine2016)
    Try and revive my cat with a chicken wing maybe and if that doesn't work...panic.
    Very interesting method 🤣

ReputationRep:
    In answer to your question about first aid etc , then yes I do . However , I doubt if any vets would be interested in running any classes in relation to emergency first aid although there are courses available for people who want to do precisely this . Most vets these days are group practises with massive turnovers and would not be interested .
    How would I know all this you might ask ? Well , it's quite simple , we run a pet services company that have gradually over the last ten years have managed to build up a good relationship with local vets based on our reputation for good practise and recommendation . However , the same could not be said for our many competitors . It's a very difficult area to break into and your name is vital to your business success. We offer a whole range of services which includes , animal transport , pet taxi , the transport of dead pets , dog walking and a mobile kennels and cattery service which has become extremely popular locally . Many of the franchise companies have failed in our area as a result of the points I have mentioned . The downside is that it's a 7 day a week way of life , rather than simply a job ....If there's anything else you would like to know then let me know .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UlaGreyWolf)
    I believe that more veterinary practices should hold classes on how to perform first aid on your animal and give general advice on what to avoid and what could save their lives.
    How much would you charge per class?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    How much would you charge per class?
    Well as it would be a nurse clinic I think it should be free, like the obesity clinics. If not free then only a few quid per person. But that would be up to the discrepancy of the practice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UlaGreyWolf)
    Well as it would be a nurse clinic I think it should be free, like the obesity clinics. If not free then only a few quid per person. But that would be up to the discrepancy of the practice
    Obesity clinics are [sometimes] free because they get to sell you more expensive diet foods etc. Unless they're going to start selling pet-sized defibrillators I don't think the same incentive will exist for resuscitation training. They'd have to be able to make a profit on entry fees alone.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.