Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a doctor, I have to choose my a-levels soon, but I don’t know if I’m good enough at chemistry. I am predicted a 7 in my GCSE, realistically is this enough?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What type of doctor do you want to be?

ReputationRep:
    Medicine is very competitive so it would be best to get top grades/as high as possible.

It depends where you want to study it

I believe a 7 is a decent A at GCSE? This is fine for chemistry A level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ex-pert)
    What type of doctor do you want to be?
    I’m not sure, but wouldn’t I need chemistry for any type?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asox)
    Medicine is very competitive so it would be best to get top grades/as high as possible.

It depends where you want to study it

I believe a 7 is a decent A at GCSE? This is fine for chemistry A level.
    Yes it is, I guess I will just have to revise a lot haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekydog)
    I’m pretty sure that chemistry is needed for all medical school.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but wont it be really hard to become a surgeon if all your expecting our 7s
    it is possible
    but extremely unlikely

ReputationRep:
    It entirely depends on what A level grades you get university you want to go to as GCSEs are not always a major deciding factor unless you want to go to a major competitive university e.g. Oxford. But a 7 in chemistry should be good enough however that isn't a reason for you not to aim higher.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but wont it be really hard to become a surgeon if all your expecting our 7s
    it is possible
    but extremely unlikely
    I would say dont only aim for 7s but aim above if you get 7s it isnt a problem but the competition is strong you must perform really good in all assessments you undertake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anisa100)
    It entirely depends on what A level grades you get university you want to go to as GCSEs are not always a major deciding factor unless you want to go to a major competitive university e.g. Oxford. But a 7 in chemistry should be good enough however that isn't a reason for you not to aim higher.
    it is possible
    but extremely unlikely
    Oh right see what you mean, I’m not expecting 7s in everything - just chemistry (it is my lowest)

ReputationRep:
    I would say dont only aim for 7s but aim above if you get 7s it isnt a problem but the competition is strong you must perform really good in all assessments you undertake
    Ok thanks I will do

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a doctor, I have to choose my a-levels soon, but I don’t know if I’m good enough at chemistry. I am predicted a 7 in my GCSE, realistically is this enough?
    You have to pick chemistry
    with enough practice
    you will soon be good at it
    you have another 3 years before you undertake those chemistry exams
    dont worry

ReputationRep:
    You do need chemistry A level to get into nearly all medical schools. A 7 is a good grade from what I've read about the new system so don't be discouraged.

All you can do is try your best, do chemistry and see what happens.

Yeah but wont it be really hard to become a surgeon if all your expecting our 7s it is possible but extremely unlikely
    No one cares or asks about your GCSEs when you're applying for surgical specialty training.

ReputationRep:
    You have to pick chemistry
    with enough practice
    you will soon be good at it
    you have another 3 years before you undertake those chemistry exams
    dont worry
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    You do need chemistry A level to get into nearly all medical schools. A 7 is a good grade from what I've read about the new system so don't be discouraged.

All you can do is try your best, do chemistry and see what happens.

No one cares or asks about your GCSEs when you're applying for surgical specialty training.
    Still medicine is a very competive course
    in order to even get into that course
    You have to be a very polished candidate
    I would aim for above a 7 at least in the sciences

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    Dont let your predicted grades be your limit

ReputationRep:
    I’ve just applied to medicine and some unis and very picky about grades. I’ve applied to Leicester, Newcastle, Hull York, and Birmingham. Three of these want A*-C at GCSE (I’m not sure what that is with the new number system). But some unis have different amount of weighting on GCSEs compared to other categories, for example personal statement, entry exam, A level grades. All universities want you to have chemistry at A level and the majority would like you to have biology, but there is a few exceptions of which are explained in individual websites. If you want any more info or have any questions feel free to reply or message me 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessicaPace1)
    I’ve just applied to medicine and some unis and very picky about grades. I’ve applied to Leicester, Newcastle, Hull York, and Birmingham. Three of these want A*-C at GCSE (I’m not sure what that is with the new number system). But some unis have different amount of weighting on GCSEs compared to other categories, for example personal statement, entry exam, A level grades. All universities want you to have chemistry at A level and the majority would like you to have biology, but there is a few exceptions of which are explained in individual websites. If you want any more info or have any questions feel free to reply or message me 😊
    Thank you!! If you don’t mind me asking what did you get in biology/chemistry

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!! If you don’t mind me asking what did you get in biology/chemistry
    I got a B in biology and an A in chemistry at gcse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessicaPace1)
    Hi, I want to do medicine too, how many A*'s did you get at GCSE if you don't mind me asking

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.