Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know all the themes they can possibly test you for Eduqas poetry and all the characters and themes they can possible test you for the Macbeth essay queston

ReputationRep:
    I don't know all the themes (lmao I've asked that as well), but here are the themes' possible questions I can think of:

Themes:
    Guilt
    (How does Shakespeare present) the role of women/Gender
    Supernatural
    Power
    Ambition
    Conflict
    Versions of reality
    Nobility/DROK

Characters:
    The Witches - supernatural, versions of reality
    Macbeth - practically anything, like Guilt, ambition, conflict
    Lady Macbeth - supernatural, gender.role of women, guilt

I'm not sure whether they would ask about Duncan, Macduff or Malcolm. They could say describe the similarities between Macbeth and Macduff.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    OK - you are never going to know "all the stuff they can test you on". You can only narrow the funnel of doubt.

This means 2 things - do some research into the past papers questions. This will give you a sense of (a) the most popular topics they ask questions on (b) how they phrase the questions.

The questions will always be wide enough to be applicable to a number of texts. So, they might ask you on the nature of tragedy. Or the protagonist's flaws and how these influence the plot. These are wide questions that you can interpret in relation to most texts. It is unlikely you will get a question on a character that is specific to one text (e.g. witches in "Macbeth"). That does not mean you shouldn't know your characters and their motives inside out though. It merely means, focus your attention to where it needs to be.

Off the top of my head, if I was quizzing people on Shakespeare (there will be other students studying texts other than Macbeth) I would ask questions on:
    how the characters contribute to their fate; the nature of tragedy; the nature of comedy; the theme of love; how the death of a character drives the plot. what constitutes a dramatic climax etc,
    But these are just my ideas. Please look at what they have asked in the past - that's a good indicator of what will be asked in the future.

Once you have the past paper questions, practise answering them under the clock. This is uncomfortable and you will fail a bunch of times before you get good at it, but that is what revision is for. Fail at the revision, so you can succeed in the exam. Keep going. Learn your quotes, practise your answers and you will get good at responding to the same question being phrased in different ways.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 31, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.