Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

@ people who do chemistry a-level Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry GCSE is very different from A Level. GCSE is more basic content and formulas, whereas A Level goes in depth. The content is very complex and so are the formulas, concepts, etc. It's less content heavy compared to Biology, but it requires a LOT of understanding which makes it more difficult. Rote learning is relatively easy, getting your head around the concepts is very hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekydog)
    I want to chemistry( I’m in y11) but I’m not sure. What is it like? How difficult is it? What did you get in you GCSE and what are you predicted? thanks
    Everyone will tell you it’s the hardest if not in top 3 hardest a levels. ITS NOT! It’s ok and the easiest science and easier than maths. If you do physics do maths and don’t do biology unless you know you will need it there’s wayyyy too much content
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I finished my A Levels this June and I did chemistry (and biology - mentioning this because I saw you comment that you were thinking of taking this too). for both subjects I got A* at GCSE, A at AS and A* at A Level.

People will tell you that chemistry is one of the hardest A-levels. In all honestly, I think that it's not as hard as it's made out to be. Many ideas that come up in GCSE come up at A Level but is obviously expanded so that you learn some more complex stuff. I would say that as long as your GCSE knowledge is strong and that you keep on top of things from day one by revising, doing past papers and asking your teachers for help, there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't do well. My year was the first year to do the new linear A Levels so you can imagine that we were in a very bad position with no past-papers to use form our spec - my exam board's chemistry qualification wasn't even approved until about 2 months before my exams!

This is also coming from someone who is more of a 'humanity' type person (adore history! ) so believe me when I say that you can get anywhere with hard work and perseverance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mesopotamian.)
    Hey there, I finished my A Levels this June and I did chemistry (and biology - mentioning this because I saw you comment that you were thinking of taking this too). for both subjects I got A* at GCSE, A at AS and A* at A Level.

People will tell you that chemistry is one of the hardest A-levels. In all honestly, I think that it's not as hard as it's made out to be. Many ideas that come up in GCSE come up at A Level but is obviously expanded so that you learn some more complex stuff. I would say that as long as your GCSE knowledge is strong and that you keep on top of things from day one by revising, doing past papers and asking your teachers for help, there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't do well. My year was the first year to do the new linear A Levels so you can imagine that we were in a very bad position with no past-papers to use form our spec - my exam board's chemistry qualification wasn't even approved until about 2 months before my exams!

This is also coming from someone who is more of a 'humanity' type person (adore history! ) so believe me when I say that you can get anywhere with hard work and perseverance.
    Well done! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    GCSE Chemi: A
    AS Chemi: A
    A2 Predicted: A

I think you should do it. Really interesting and opens a lot of options for you.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry>Biology

I do both

(Original post by amaraub)
    Biology is still hard asf though

ReputationRep:
    CHEMISTRY is not hard, biology is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asox)
    DON'T DO IT

I got A* at GCSE and I was advised not to do it

Some of my friends who also got A*s did it and they find it so hard and they're all getting Us in their mocks!

Advice - do biology instead
    Funny you say that, I did pretty well in Chemistry A level, after getting a B at GCSE, and somehow got a U in A level Biology after getting an A* at GCSE!

Not meaning to sound condescending but you can't really tell someone not to do it when you never did it yourself :/ But OP can always try it out for a short period of time (Couple of weeks or so) before swapping to something else. In my experience though, Chemistry involved a lot of logic and calculation based problems and Biology was just factual recall and essay writing.

ReputationRep:
    100% you'll do worse in an 'easier' subject that you have no passion for and no motivation in. If you work hard you will be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Don't so it unless you want to persue science at Uni. gcse and a levels are incomparable. my grades have been so mixed can't tell you a proper predicted.

got an A* at gcse.

Actually just don't do a science alevel unless you will definitely do it at uni. too much stress and it's waaay top hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student1600)
    Chemistry>Biology

I do both
    Yeah, same.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think it's alright but I do AQA and the As test was stupid. But to be honest it's not hard as long as u revise.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry hardness is definitly overhyped, to be honest most my friends and class mates find doing chemistry exams and revison for it MUCH more easier tham
    Bio as chem questions are fairly straight fwrd as they are mainly calculations it just required alot of practice only reason people don tdo as well
    In chem is dhe to very hard grade boundariees and also if u lack good general mathematic skills, i have defintly dound chem
    Much easier to revise for as the exams are actually ablut the content u learn and practice wereas bio tends to be very random and slot of application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeadHoncho)
    Year 12 is difficult, but it starts to click like start of/mid way year 13 so it not too bad. I personally think chemistry’s difficulty is a bit overhyped tbh
    Couldn't agree more! I doesn't seem to make much sense at the start but once you learn the basics and start applying the knowledge, it turns into one of those incredibly satisfying subjects which isn't too difficult

ReputationRep:
    I’ve been told it’s the hardest a level at school which put me off a bit aha.
    There are no "hardest A-level"'s - it all comes down to your way of learning. Chemistry A-Level takes previous knowledge, from GCSE, and expands on it a lot, introducing new ideas along with the old knowledge that can sometimes intrigue you to look further into it. It also then takes brand new concepts that you won't have come across yet (i.e. Organic chemistry), but it keeps it simple because the exam board knows you won't have covered that yet at all in your lifetime.

At AS-Level, it's a lot of new information that at first can seem scary that you'll never remember it all. That's probably why a lot of people drop out in the first few weeks and claim it to be "the hardest A-Level". But it's once you complete the course, that everything is wrapped up in a nice circle, and it all makes sense.
    Once you go on to A2, it takes AS-level things you've just learnt, and takes them even further, so you understand everything that is going on, with the basic fundamentals that you learnt in Year 12. It's not a huge jump, but obviously it's another load of information that you have to learn and remember.

If you like a mathsy subject that has a lot of calculations in, then Chemistry has those. If you like an information subject that makes you think, Chemistry has that. What it doesn't have is essays or creative thinking tasks, for that, you need to go to humanities.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I like history but don’t see what job I could get with it.
    I was doing history for like 3 weeks but its honestly so boring so I switched to chemistry and its a lot more interesting, at AS level it is not that hard(read chemrevise and practice maths based questions a lot)- it does get harder at A2 level but shouldn't be that hard

ReputationRep:
    My friend does it. He got a B at GCSE but he didn't originally want to take it; his other AS Levels are his original options but he chose Chemistry because he couldn't do A-Level Tech as it's not offered at our school. I've heard from A LOT of people that Chemistry is either the hardest A-Level or that it fries your brain. Not to put you off but the A and A* kids in our school's current Year 12 class are struggling, and one of them said "It doesn't matter if you get 11 A*s and 1 B because you will not understand anything in that class". Not to put you off (apologies if it did), that's just an honest school perspective as a whole. But from what I've read on TSR, it's normal to struggle at first but you're fine once you get used to the step-up. You probably gathered it would be difficult anyway. Like a few others have said, if you genuinely have a passion for it and you're good at it, go ahead and take it. Obviously, it's one of the most difficult A-Levels but if you have a genuine interest, I'm sure you'll feel motivated to put in the work and succeed.

Also, don't listen to the people telling you not to take it. That mindset won't get you anywhere in life. Yeah, it's a difficult subject but don't let people put you off taking it if you genuinely have a passion for it. Surround yourself with encouraging people who have your best interest at heart.

ReputationRep:
    I took tripple science + maths at Alevel. Ended up dropping chemistry after AS. It's the hardest out of the 3 sciences because none of the rules make sense. So you can't make educated guesses and get questions right like in physics and biology lol. Theres always 'an exception to the rule' because what they teach you in GCSE is all wrong and massivley simplified.

In physics it just builds from GCSE and you can just guess the answer to everything and get it right. Same in Biology, everything does what it's supposed to do. I got one of the practical exam experiments wrong once, so I just guessed all the results and made up the graph (was obvious what it was meant to look like). And I got 20/20 lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khookie)
    Chemistry GCSE is very different from A Level. GCSE is more basic content and formulas, whereas A Level goes in depth. The content is very complex and so are the formulas, concepts, etc. It's less content heavy compared to Biology, but it requires a LOT of understanding which makes it more difficult. Rote learning is relatively easy, getting your head around the concepts is very hard.
    So far in Chemistry I'm not finding it too difficult is it because I haven't started the hard chapters yet, I've done bonding, amount of substance, atomic structure and introduction to organic chemistry? Did you find any of these hard if your doing AQA (AS btw)

ReputationRep:
    Maths AS is the actual hard one, it's ridiculous how hard it is, does anyone agree with me because everyone finds it easy??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.