Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

@ people who do chemistry a-level Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hey_Its_Cerian)
    My friend does it. He got a B at GCSE but he didn't originally want to take it; his other AS Levels are his original options but he chose Chemistry because he couldn't do A-Level Tech as it's not offered at our school. I've heard from A LOT of people that Chemistry is either the hardest A-Level or that it fries your brain. Not to put you off but the A and A* kids in our school's current Year 12 class are struggling, and one of them said "It doesn't matter if you get 11 A*s and 1 B because you will not understand anything in that class". Not to put you off (apologies if it did), that's just an honest school perspective as a whole. But from what I've read on TSR, it's normal to struggle at first but you're fine once you get used to the step-up. You probably gathered it would be difficult anyway. Like a few others have said, if you genuinely have a passion for it and you're good at it, go ahead and take it. Obviously, it's one of the most difficult A-Levels but if you have a genuine interest, I'm sure you'll feel motivated to put in the work and succeed.

Also, don't listen to the people telling you not to take it. That mindset won't get you anywhere in life. Yeah, it's a difficult subject but don't let people put you off taking it if you genuinely have a passion for it. Surround yourself with encouraging people who have your best interest at heart.
    Dont worry you didn’t
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I’m in Year 13 and love chemistry! There’s a lot of maths in it though which may be something to consider

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lcschofield)
    I’m in Year 13 and love chemistry! There’s a lot of maths in it though which may be something to consider
    Well I enjoy maths and am taking that as well, so hopefully that will help

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is one of my strongest subjects. There is a definite leap in the detail of the content but once you get over the initial shock, it’s absolutely fine. It’s now my favourite subject, it’s like GCSE but in more detail. It’s not easy but if you enjoy it and have a genuine passion for it, it’s great.

ReputationRep:
    I want to take a-level chemistry but Maths is my worst subject that I have no confidence. Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSE 9)
    Maths AS is the actual hard one, it's ridiculous how hard it is, does anyone agree with me because everyone finds it easy??
    Again, just because you find it hard, doesn't mean it's a hard subject in general. For example, I found AS Maths + Further Maths (I do OCR MEI, considered the 'hardest exam board') a walk in the park, and ended up with 100 UMS in almost all 6 of my modules. But I know some people struggled with it a lot. So I don't call it "the easiest A-Level", because it isn't for all people.

Calling a subject hard is just so subjective, and all depends on the person taking it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Ignore all commentary by people saying they found it hard, or even if they found it easy. This will mean nothing to your ability to do well in the course.

Did you do well in GCSE Chemistry AND did you enjoy GCSE Chemistry? If the answer to both of those is yes, you will probably find it perfectly suitable as an option for A-level. If you only answered yes to one, realise that you're either going to be in for a long slog if you didn't enjoy it previously, or you're going to find it extremely tough to get through and need to put in a lot of extra work, if you didn't do well in it. If the answer to both is no then don't take it.

After that, consider whether you need to take it. What do you want to do after 6th form? Planning to do a degree in Chemistry, Biosciences, Chemical Engineering or Materials Science? Then yes, you should take Chemistry. Planning to do any other degree? It's not necessary, and you should think carefull about whether it's worth taking. If you fell into the former category above, it's probably a reasonable option unless there's something you were better at or enjoyed more (or if there are more useful subjects to take - like Further Maths for Maths/Physics/Computer Science/Engineering sans the two disciplines listed above). If you fell into either of the latter categories it's probably not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathCave)
    Again, just because you find it hard, doesn't mean it's a hard subject in general. For example, I found AS Maths + Further Maths (I do OCR MEI, considered the 'hardest exam board' a walk in the park, and ended up with 100 UMS in almost all 6 of my modules. But I know some people struggled with it a lot. So I don't call it "the easiest A-Level", because it isn't for all people.

Calling a subject hard is just so subjective, and all depends on the person taking it.
    How, **** you must be smart, how do you get past the application questions :coma::curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSE 9)
    So far in Chemistry I'm not finding it too difficult is it because I haven't started the hard chapters yet, I've done bonding, amount of substance, atomic structure and introduction to organic chemistry? Did you find any of these hard if your doing AQA (AS btw)
    I do WJEC so it's a bit different but we cover similar topics. I thought AS wasn't a huge jump as there was a lot of pre-requisite knowledge, I struggled to grasp some of the concepts in class but as long as you spend a lot of time going over it then you'll be fine by exams. I remember when I was learning Hess' Law and enthalpy changes it made absolutely no sense but when I started to understand it, I found it much easier. Also, the mechanisms in organic chemistry can be a bit tricky to get your head around at first, but it's actually just a few steps that you need to remember. The trends in the periodic table were really tedious to learn but they're not hard.

I've only done 2 months worth of A2 (started before the summer) and I already dislike it I did terrible in the first test on redox which is apparently the easiest topic in A2, so I have no hope anymore I'll just pray that my UMS from last year can secure at least an A!

ReputationRep:
    I’m currently doing chemistry and it is difficult if you don’t keep up with your work but I think I’m coping since my revision life is good as I’m keeping up with my notes but i found if I don’t listen for 5 mins of the lesson then I become lost and confused

ReputationRep:
    It’s brilliant I love it, if you have a genuine interest in chemistry you’ll be fine. It’s A-Level, not GCSE, it’s a completely different ball game which is why some people who do really well at GCSE do bad at A-level because it requires a lot more dedication.

I guess I’m slightly bias because I want to do a chemistry degree but would definitely recommend, it’s never boring :P

Don’t worry about it being difficult, the only reason people find it hard is because the exams test your understanding not your ability to regurgitate information

ReputationRep:
    It's great, I really enjoy it. Yes it is challenging but it is manageable if you work hard. Got A* at GCSE, predicted A*, feel free to ask any questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asox)
    DON'T DO IT

I got A* at GCSE and I was advised not to do it

Some of my friends who also got A*s did it and they find it so hard and they're all getting Us in their mocks!

Advice - do biology instead
    Biology is way more work than chemistry though. If you like chemistry and find it interesting you should do it for a level simple as. It does help if you like other sciences and maths tho.
    To answer op question I got an A* at gcse and I've been predicted and A* at alevel having got a high A at as. It's all just hard work towards fully understanding concepts and exam technique really.

ReputationRep:
    Although other peoples opinions are helpful, it really is down to you, and what you personally find easy and hard. I gt an A* at GCSE, and AS was challening, but enjoyable, and really not too bad for me personally. I found biology really difficult, but ended up doing better in biology! It depends on so many things.
    What career would you like? If a chemistry a level wont be helpful for your uni course, maybe think again.
    Do you enjoy it at GCSE? If so, absolutely take it.
    It takes work and dedication and practice and practice and practice but it just comes down to if YOU think you can cope, and if YOU want to do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekydog)
    I want to chemistry( I’m in y11) but I’m not sure. What is it like? How difficult is it? What did you get in you GCSE and what are you predicted? thanks
    Chemistry isn’t that bad tbh, it’s very interesting and fun

ReputationRep:
    I take Chemistry and Biolgy at A level, and I personally think Biology is a harder subject. I can not really elaborate on why I feel it is easier other that stating that I perform better in chemistry based on tests. If you want to take it, then take it I would personally recommend it as it can get you to a lot of careers and open a lot of doorways. Anywho goodluck and I wish you the best of luck on your GCSES.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.