Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Attempting to get help for my social anxiety - worried. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi There,

After years of being under CAMHS, then primary care teams, as an inpatient and with many counselors - I have FINALLY asked for help with my social anxiety, its always taken a back seat to my Depression and im already on the highest dosage of anti depressants for that (Theyve never helped the anxiety).

Well my problem is, i hate the adult mental health services in this area and am scared as the last time i had an appointment the nurse stated "You dont have depression, it is just teenage hormones" (Even tho i got the diagnosis years ago)

So what do i do, Get the help im desperate for in order to live like a normal nearly 20 year old or Risk being upset more by them?

ReputationRep:
    Get the help! If you need the help then you need it, please please please don’t prevent yourself getting the help, I know what it’s like to have anxiety, and how hard it can be to get the help, but if you can then do. However if you chose not to, then do talk to someone, whether it be a family or friend, or even a stranger (I’d always talk if it was needed)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlahBlah97)
    Hi There,

After years of being under CAMHS, then primary care teams, as an inpatient and with many counselors - I have FINALLY asked for help with my social anxiety, its always taken a back seat to my Depression and im already on the highest dosage of anti depressants for that (Theyve never helped the anxiety).

Well my problem is, i hate the adult mental health services in this area and am scared as the last time i had an appointment the nurse stated "You dont have depression, it is just teenage hormones" (Even tho i got the diagnosis years ago)

So what do i do, Get the help im desperate for in order to live like a normal nearly 20 year old or Risk being upset more by them?
    Definitely try and get help. You deserve it, that's what it is there for! You deserve to live your life to the fullest.

ReputationRep:
    Read Waking the Tiger by Dr. Peter Levine. He talked about anxiety from a nervous system perspective and why it's hard to settle and how you can help yourself.His book is easy to read and there are exercises in it. He talks about how we get stuck in survival responses and that part of our nervous system is responding to threat even when the event has passed. So essentially a fight flight or freeze response can be hijacking your biology and making you anxious. You can not resolve this by thinking because these responses are controlled by the "lizard brain" (animal brain) not the neo-cortex.
    His system of healing is called Somatic Experiencing and it's more of a body based experiential approach.

ReputationRep:
    i think you should get the help if you can! but what kind of help can you get for social anxiety? it's something i struggle with also but didn't think there was anything you could do except talk to someone about it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.