Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'd be grateful if someone could explain the British University process to me. I'll even help by asking a few questions!

What is UCAS?
    When do we apply?
    How do we apply?
    Do international/overseas applicants have to take special tests or provide additional material?

By the way, I'm considering applying to Cambridge and Imperial.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    UCAS is the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service, and is the organisation through which anyone who wants to apply as an undergraduate to a UK university has to go - they have a website at www.ucas.co.uk which will give you more detailed information.

To apply, you have to fill in either a paper or online application form (I would imagine that as an international student you woiuld have to fill in the paper version unless your school is registered to make online applications). The form has sections for personal details, a section where you state the six universities you have chosen to apply to, details about where you have been educated since the age of 11, qualifications taken and grades gained and qualifications about to be taken and predicted grades. There are also sections for a personal statement ('PS' - written by you) and a reference, usually written by a teacher or employer.

If you want to apply for Oxford or Cambridge, then you have to return your fully completed form to UCAS by October 15th of the year BEFORE you want to go to university (ie for entry in Sept/Oct 2005 the form has to be in by 15th Oct 2004). For all other universities the date is January 15th.

I'm not really sure about international students - I don't think that there are any 'extra' bits on the form. You would really need to research the individual course and universities to see what they require. They would probably expect a certain standard of english, and you would have to check whether international qualifications are recognised and relevant.

Hope this helps a bit!

ReputationRep:
    Can't people use search engines?

ReputationRep:
    woohoo imeprial! what gonna apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Can't people use search engines?
    Did it ever occur to you that I actually searched for information, but wanted to know more? Geez.

Thanks for the help, Catswhiskers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catswhiskers)
    (I would imagine that as an international student you woiuld have to fill in the paper version unless your school is registered to make online applications).
    This is not true. I am an international student and I applied through UCAS online! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaka)
    woohoo imeprial! what gonna apply for?
    I'm considering:
    Aeronautics
    Mechanical Engineering
    Physics / Math

Still not sure which one, though.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.