Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Managing eating disorder recovery while in sixth form Watch

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I’m in year 12 and struggling with an eating disorder. CAMHS are saying that I’ll be pulled out from school if my physical health doesn’t improve and if school can’t manage my symptoms and support the treatment adequately. I really want to stay in school at least on a part-time basis if at all possible, but I also want to comply with the treatment so they don’t admit me to an inpatient unit.

Does anyone have any experience or tips on ways to stay in school (or at least not falling behind with school work) whilst in community treatment for an ED?

For example this would include managing things like:
    - supervised meals and snacks in accordance with meal plan
    - supervision after each meal/snack
    - preventing ED behaviours like purging and exercising (stopping access to toilets?)
    - resting/limiting physical activity

All comments are much appreciated! Thanks xx
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't pulled up on my ED behaviour by anyone in school, I was very secretive so people didn't guess anything until 6th form when I was passing out on a regular basis, so cannot offer personal experience. I also lied a lot and blamed it on other things, like my physical disability (don't do this). The only thing that happened with me was I got extra tutoring in 6th form when the passing out was very common because my science teachers liked me. But that wasn't a direct result of my ED, if you get what I mean.

However, one of my best friends (who has since passed away due to ED complications) was routinely in and out of hospital during year 11 and 6th form, though. Various things were put in place, she had reduced hours time table and one to one help as well. She wasn't able to go to the toilets during lessons without someone accompanying her either. During break/lunch one of us would go with her. This was primarily when purging behaviours were bad though, it was relaxed other times. Erm, she also wasn't allowed to do PE. She also had to check in with our head of year during lunch and stuff. She also had supervision during lunch to make sure she didn't throw her food away or give it away as well.

Honestly, it all depended on where she was with her ED, how bad she was restricting or how much she was purging, or both. :dontknow: She did find it difficult to stay in school for long periods of time though, looking back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pathway)
    I wasn't pulled up on my ED behaviour by anyone in school, I was very secretive so people didn't guess anything until 6th form when I was passing out on a regular basis, so cannot offer personal experience. I also lied a lot and blamed it on other things, like my physical disability (don't do this). The only thing that happened with me was I got extra tutoring in 6th form when the passing out was very common because my science teachers liked me. But that wasn't a direct result of my ED, if you get what I mean.

However, one of my best friends (who has since passed away due to ED complications) was routinely in and out of hospital during year 11 and 6th form, though. Various things were put in place, she had reduced hours time table and one to one help as well. She wasn't able to go to the toilets during lessons without someone accompanying her either. During break/lunch one of us would go with her. This was primarily when purging behaviours were bad though, it was relaxed other times. Erm, she also wasn't allowed to do PE. She also had to check in with our head of year during lunch and stuff. She also had supervision during lunch to make sure she didn't throw her food away or give it away as well.

Honestly, it all depended on where she was with her ED, how bad she was restricting or how much she was purging, or both. :dontknow: She did find it difficult to stay in school for long periods of time though, looking back.
    Thank you for sharing! So sorry to hear about your friend and about your difficulties xx

ReputationRep:
    I also have an ED (but I’m in year 9). What I’ve tried to do is slowly try to eat a but more at lunchtime etc, like today I took a full meal but only ate a bit. Then maybe you can try eating a bit more slowly (eg every few days etc). One teacher even let me eat in class today cause the usual lunch time was cut short

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonia.ahd)
    Thank you for sharing! So sorry to hear about your friend and about your difficulties xx
    You're welcome. I hope you're able to manage your ED and studying, it's not easy, but it isn't impossible. Just continue to be honest with your needs to those around you. Sorry to hear about your difficulties too. EDs are awful.

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry if this is not answering your questions, but how do you know if you have an ED?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LunaCat)
    I am sorry if this is not answering your questions, but how do you know if you have an ED?
    I was told I have one by my therapists and the CAMHS ED team xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChasingStars26)
    I also have an ED (but I’m in year 9). What I’ve tried to do is slowly try to eat a but more at lunchtime etc, like today I took a full meal but only ate a bit. Then maybe you can try eating a bit more slowly (eg every few days etc). One teacher even let me eat in class today cause the usual lunch time was cut short
    Thank you for your reply. So sorry to hear you’re struggling. Well done for fighting your ED, you’re being very brave xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LunaCat)
    I was told I have one by my psychologist 2 years ago when I finally started getting help for my MH - she also said it was long-standing (I've had it since childhood). Also been told by psychiatrists, GPs, nurses, counsellors, etc.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.