Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Posting on this as I want to keep anonymous,as I perhaps feel a bit of shame due to my situation.Keep me anon.

I picked biology,chemistry,maths and economics.I feel like I regret my option as I really wanted to do further maths and maybe even physics but I didn't end up picking them as I didn't get a grade 9 in maths and I am not a very capable mathematician due to the very poor teaching in my secondary and my mats teacher not even being properly qualified to teach maths and they themselves seemed to struggle with the 9-1 gcse and I doubt they could get a grade 9 if they sat it themselves.So I had to self teach myself maths a lot and I had very weak foundation, as at the ned of year 10 I was on a grade equivalent to a C grade,due to having 4 teachers in year 10 and them being terrible.At the end I managed to get a grade 8.I wanted to do at some point computer science at uni but due to my poor skills in maths I decided against it and thought I should just do medicine I thought it was for me and I got work experience and everything to make sure it's right for me but at the end I feel like maybe this decision was pushed more on to me by others then me actually wanting to do it.So I kind of stuck to it and said right I will do medicine.When what I really wanted to do was computer science or a maths degree or even engineering but I am terrible at maths and struggle a lot with it.

I don't really enjoy my a levels and I find them an absolute bore and maths a level is still a struggle as I have a bad teacher who never teaches just makes us to do questions.But now I don't really know what Im doing and Im just kind of sticking to doing medicine for now,I like lots of things about medicine but there is something about the inaccessibility to computer science and maths and those types of courses that draw me to them, the fact Im incapable of doing them and have no chance, that it makes me think about it even more and it draws me towards it.

I just had to rant.Rant over, please don't judge and don't be harsh :/

ReputationRep:
    A big well done to you getting an 8 in your GCSE under the poor teaching circumstances your school put you in! I completely understand as in my secondary school I didn't have a proper maths teacher for all of year 10. My class had 7 supply teachers who couldn't control the class so I basically wasn't taught for a year. I'm not a natural mathematician so this made me struggle immensely. I managed to get a C in the end (rest of subjects As and Bs).

Some recommendations: can your parents help you with any revision/work? Or are you able to afford a maths tutor if you feel your school isn't teaching you enough?

My parents got me a tutor and it made a huge difference

(Original post by QuestionQuest)
    A big well done to you getting an 8 in your GCSE under the poor teaching circumstances your school put you in! I completely understand as in my secondary school I didn't have a proper maths teacher for all of year 10. My class had 7 supply teachers who couldn't control the class so I basically wasn't taught for a year. I'm not a natural mathematician so this made me struggle immensely. I managed to get a C in the end (rest of subjects As and Bs).

Some recommendations: can your parents help you with any revision/work? Or are you able to afford a maths tutor if you feel your school isn't teaching you enough?

My parents got me a tutor and it made a huge difference
    My mom can't teach me maths and I had a maths tutor in year 10 and I didn't find it very helpful.The main issue is I think I picked the wrong a levels due to my incompetence in maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My mom can't teach me maths and I had a maths tutor in year 10 and I didn't find it very helpful.The main issue is I think I picked the wrong a levels due to my incompetence in maths.
    If you achieve an 8 you are far from incompetent! I think it might be more of a confidence issue than ability. Work hard, Have faith in yourself and you'll get there. You could always try a different tutor! People teach in different ways which might suit you more. You could also let the teacher know how you feel.

ReputationRep:
    Posting on this as I want to keep anonymous,as I perhaps feel a bit of shame due to my situation.Keep me anon.

I picked biology,chemistry,maths and economics.I feel like I regret my option as I really wanted to do further maths and maybe even physics but I didn't end up picking them as I didn't get a grade 9 in maths and I am not a very capable mathematician due to the very poor teaching in my secondary and my mats teacher not even being properly qualified to teach maths and they themselves seemed to struggle with the 9-1 gcse and I doubt they could get a grade 9 if they sat it themselves.So I had to self teach myself maths a lot and I had very weak foundation, as at the ned of year 10 I was on a grade equivalent to a C grade,due to having 4 teachers in year 10 and them being terrible.At the end I managed to get a grade 8.I wanted to do at some point computer science at uni but due to my poor skills in maths I decided against it and thought I should just do medicine I thought it was for me and I got work experience and everything to make sure it's right for me but at the end I feel like maybe this decision was pushed more on to me by others then me actually wanting to do it.So I kind of stuck to it and said right I will do medicine.When what I really wanted to do was computer science or a maths degree or even engineering but I am terrible at maths and struggle a lot with it.

I don't really enjoy my a levels and I find them an absolute bore and maths a level is still a struggle as I have a bad teacher who never teaches just makes us to do questions.But now I don't really know what Im doing and Im just kind of sticking to doing medicine for now,I like lots of things about medicine but there is something about the inaccessibility to computer science and maths and those types of courses that draw me to them, the fact Im incapable of doing them and have no chance, that it makes me think about it even more and it draws me towards it.

I just had to rant.Rant over, please don't judge and don't be harsh :/
    Pfft show off. You got an 8 and your crying about how bad you are at maths.

I also got an 8 in maths coming from the bottom set and I'm grateful.

But it's really weird because I'm in the same position as you. I wanted to do computing (I got an A* in Computing GCSE) but I want to do medicine. I chose further maths but I dropped it because 4 A levels were too much. honestly, its not too late to change it.

(Original post by DYoverDX)
    Pfft show off. You got an 8 and your crying about how bad you are at maths.

I also got an 8 in maths coming from the bottom set and I'm grateful.

But it's really weird because I'm in the same position as you. I wanted to do computing (I got an A* in Computing GCSE) but I want to do medicine. I chose further maths but I dropped it because 4 A levels were too much. honestly, its not too late to change it.
    I'm bad at maths, Im struggling in maths all the time and since I changed schools and go to a grammar school now everyone is so much better at me than maths and I always have to ask people for help because I am clueless.I only got an 8 with extreme difficulty and luck.

I also did gcse computing and got an a*, which got me interested in computing.I can't do further maths because it's too late to change and Im struggling with normal maths and my other a levels and Im only doing economics as my 4th because it's easy and my school won''t let me do 3.Also it's too late to change now.I think I'm bad at maths because I have very weak foundations and the teacher that I have for a level isn't making things better.

Im so bad at maths that even my teachers have spoken to me about my progress in maths and other subjects, if the teachers are worried to such an extent that Im made to attend meetings about progress that must be saying something.

ReputationRep:
    I'm bad at maths, Im struggling in maths all the time and since I changed schools and go to a grammar school now everyone is so much better at me than maths and I always have to ask people for help because I am clueless.I only got an 8 with extreme difficulty and luck.

I also did gcse computing and got an a*, which got me interested in computing.I can't do further maths because it's too late to change and Im struggling with normal maths and my other a levels and Im only doing economics as my 4th because it's easy and my school won''t let me do 3.Also it's too late to change now.I think I'm bad at maths because I have very weak foundations and the teacher that I have for a level isn't making things better.

Im so bad at maths that even my teachers have spoken to me about my progress in maths and other subjects, if the teachers are worried to such an extent that Im made to attend meetings about progress that must be saying something.
    Anyone who goes from a C grade to an A/A* grade is not bad at maths. Remember, you need to put your time in it. Keep doing practice questions. Here are a ferw websites:

www.physicsandmathstutor.com

www.mathsgenie.co.uk

www.thestudentroom.co.uk

Also don't change your s LEBVELsm tyhen .

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Isn't an 8 equivalent to what used to be a high A?
    Actually, I just looked, both an 8 and a 9 are equivalent to an old A*..... Who the hell moans about an A*?

(Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
    Isn't an 8 equivalent to what used to be a high A?
    Actually, I just looked, both an 8 and a 9 are equivalent to an old A*..... Who the hell moans about an A*?
    Someone who didn't get a 9,how would you feel if most people at your school had a 9, you would also want one.The main issue is not even about the GCSE, it's about the fact Im not doing fm due to incompetence in maths and not being able to do anything with computer science in the future, technically you don't need further maths but if you are applying for e.g. imperial,Cambridge you basically have like no chance of getting a place as most people who apply for it do fm and the course can be quite mathematical.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.