Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

One year ago, I had a 1 year relationship with a guy. The relationship was mostly perfect, I fell out of love however because I just didn't feel romantically towards him but I desperately tried to be because he was like a best friend to be, and I wanted to love him. Anyway, we broke up in the end, it was amicable. I didn't realise it was difficult for him post-break up as he still had feelings for me (I chose to break up), and out of no where he ended up deleting my number and removing me on all social media, which actually hurt as he always promised he'd stay my friend if we were to ever break up, we were best friends before dating.

Sometimes I just miss him, and I want my friend back, although I don't think that can happen really. I get tempted to text him sometimes and see what he's up to, but I never do. I think well, maybe he doesn't want to hear from me, but what if he's thinking the same thing and that's stopping him from contacting me? What would you suggest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    One year ago, I had a 1 year relationship with a guy. The relationship was mostly perfect, I fell out of love however because I just didn't feel romantically towards him but I desperately tried to be because he was like a best friend to be, and I wanted to love him. Anyway, we broke up in the end, it was amicable. I didn't realise it was difficult for him post-break up as he still had feelings for me (I chose to break up), and out of no where he ended up deleting my number and removing me on all social media, which actually hurt as he always promised he'd stay my friend if we were to ever break up, we were best friends before dating.

Sometimes I just miss him, and I want my friend back, although I don't think that can happen really. I get tempted to text him sometimes and see what he's up to, but I never do. I think well, maybe he doesn't want to hear from me, but what if he's thinking the same thing and that's stopping him from contacting me? What would you suggest?
    honestly it sounds like he deleted you from his social media to try and get over you. it was his way of getting over you. so it might bring up to many old feelings if you contacted him so you could choose to respect his choice and not contact him :/
    that being said he might be over it in which case no harm done

(Original post by Cor395)
    honestly it sounds like he deleted you from his social media to try and get over you. it was his way of getting over you. so it might bring up to many old feelings if you contacted him so you could choose to respect his choice and not contact him :/
    that being said he might be over it in which case no harm done
    It just hurt. He went out of his way to tell me on 10 different occasions (when we were dating) how he would always be my friend if we were to ever break up. I wasn't making him say those things, he would bring it up on his own to the point where I believed it. So to see him go against what he had been stressing for so long, made me really bitter. He can be over me, and he could have a new girlfriend, whatever honestly, I just miss my friend. He was there for me always, we could talk for hours and we had so many common interests. When he left, I just felt this whole in my life and recently, it's been making me so emotional thinking about it. I wish we'd never even dated, then perhaps our friendship would still exist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It just hurt. He went out of his way to tell me on 10 different occasions (when we were dating) how he would always be my friend if we were to ever break up. I wasn't making him say those things, he would bring it up on his own to the point where I believed it. So to see him go against what he had been stressing for so long, made me really bitter. He can be over me, and he could have a new girlfriend, whatever honestly, I just miss my friend. He was there for me always, we could talk for hours and we had so many common interests. When he left, I just felt this whole in my life and recently, it's been making me so emotional thinking about it. I wish we'd never even dated, then perhaps our friendship would still exist
    maybe he thought that he would be able to be "just friends" with you. when he realised he was wrong he tried to distance himself to get over you. just out of curiosity why did you date him if you were such good friends?

(Original post by Cor395)
    maybe he thought that he would be able to be "just friends" with you. when he realised he was wrong he tried to distance himself to get over you. just out of curiosity why did you date him if you were such good friends?
    I was naive and he was my first love, I didn't see a problem (at the time) with dating my friend, I knew he liked me and I liked him too, so we decided to make a go of it. I suppose we both learned the hard way. At this point I'd rather contact him and he can either choose to speak to me, or tell me to back off, at least this way I'll have some closure. Just leaving without any explanation and never speaking to me again, just felt weird.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.