Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My career Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I am thinking about studying towards a career in medicine and I’m not sure which a levels to do after my GCSE’s and whether I should go to sixth form or a college... pros and cons of anything will be much appreciated
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainerrg)
    Hi guys, I am thinking about studying towards a career in medicine and I’m not sure which a levels to do after my GCSE’s and whether I should go to sixth form or a college... pros and cons of anything will be much appreciated
    If you want to do medicine do chemistry, biology + whatever you want

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, I love biology and chemistry anyways so that’s a bonus

ReputationRep:
    I personally go to a sixth form and there are many great opportunities with teachers and a comfortable atmosphere with students your own age, however if you're thinking about moving to an external school you have to be prepared to be put out of your comfort zone with new places, new teachers, new students, and new standards.

Also, the branches of medicine are so vast, that some specifics may need specific A-Levels, however I think the standard requirement for subjects is a minimum of AAB (your results) in biology, chemistry, physics, and / or maths.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, at sixth form you need to study Chem, its a must you are so so so unlikely to get into doing Med without it, I'm yet to see a uni that doesn't ask for it. Personally I'd go for Chem, Bio and either maths sociology or psychology (I'll be taking Chem, Bio and psychology next year) and you roughly need A*AA/AAA to do it, although you can sometime find a uni that will take one B. I'm going to a 6th form college, If i were you look to see which is smaller if you'd be more comfortable around less people or look to see which one has had the bes outcomes/ oxford uni students after. But honestly just do what you feel most comfortable doing, maybe look around and see what you prefer. My school pushed us to go to open evenings because apparently you get a feel for the right one and its true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyyytaylorr)
    Hiya, at sixth form you need to study Chem, its a must you are so so so unlikely to get into doing Med without it, I'm yet to see a uni that doesn't ask for it. Personally I'd go for Chem, Bio and either maths sociology or psychology (I'll be taking Chem, Bio and psychology next year) and you roughly need A*AA/AAA to do it, although you can sometime find a uni that will take one B. I'm going to a 6th form college, If i were you look to see which is smaller if you'd be more comfortable around less people or look to see which one has had the bes outcomes/ oxford uni students after. But honestly just do what you feel most comfortable doing, maybe look around and see what you prefer. My school pushed us to go to open evenings because apparently you get a feel for the right one and its true
    Thanks so much! I applied for a sixth form college earlier and I decided to take biology, chemistry, psychology (I do GCSE psychology so it will be slightly easier for me rather than people who have not do wit before)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theseventhczar)
    I personally go to a sixth form and there are many great opportunities with teachers and a comfortable atmosphere with students your own age, however if you're thinking about moving to an external school you have to be prepared to be put out of your comfort zone with new places, new teachers, new students, and new standards.

Also, the branches of medicine are so vast, that some specifics may need specific A-Levels, however I think the standard requirement for subjects is a minimum of AAB (your results) in biology, chemistry, physics, and / or maths.
    Thanks so much for your help! I found it really useful

ReputationRep:
    I reiterate what the previous posters have said, 100% Biology and Chemistry, Psychology is good too (I have a couple of friends who have done an intercalated BSc in Psychology during medical school).
    It is, however, extremely competitive! I would urge you to take on some extracurricular stuff and get as much work experience as you possibly can. Doing things like fund raising is also good.

Remember that you don't have to be a doctor to help people, there's a whole world of medical research out there that essential provides doctors with the tools they need to treat their patients!

ReputationRep:
    You should do biology and chemistry and at least one other. One med school, Cambridge, also requires a third science. You will need a minimum of AAA.

You should go to the school which is closer, has better results, and where you will have the minimum disruption during transition.

(Original post by theseventhczar)
    If you don't know don't post. The above is just completely made up.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.