The Student Room Group

A look at what the new Politburo Standing Committee means for China and the World

post removed
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Excellent post, glad to see this got off the ground because it is rather amazing. Also a thumbs up to the new avatar. Knew which one you would pick :wink:

Original post by FriendlyPenguin
A long post dedicated to informing rather than a pointless pseudo-intellectual argument?

And from a TSR support team member, no less?!

We've been known to churn out the occasional winner eh. I'd argue this is one the best write ups I've seen in a long time on the site, though I'm biased in that both and I are massive Chinese politics nerds :lol:

On the subject of the new standing committee, the appointment of Wang Yang is a fascinating one for me. As you say, it helps to give off a more 'softer' image of the committee by appealing to more liberal types, but I've seen whispers online that it signals a check on Xi Jinping's power. The fact he had to place Wang into the committee in return for not see a clear successor placed in.

Either way I agree with you in that it's merely a populist move for Xi. Much of Wang's thoughts can be spun easily to appear supportive of Xi's policies. And I do think the overall composition signals that Xi is manoeuvring for a 3rd term.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
What it shows is that autocracies in the world are on the rise. Increasingly, it is becoming a matter of the leader everywhere and there are reasons for that as with everything else. The democratic system is and will always be the best in terms of providing people with a tool with which they can remove their leaders from power but in return... the people get the leaders they deserve.

It is the disillusionment with our democratically elected leaders that will push everyone into looking for a strong hand, that will be proportionate to the perception that there is nobody at the wheel. Central Europe is going through just that process, the more radical the problem is and the more radical the solution becomes. Poland's democratic status is under attack from their leaders but they have the popular base to stand on. So did Farage and does Trump.
Reply 6
What has he achieved in 5 years? What is the plan for the next years? public can't say if they are happy or not as opinions against the rule of communism isn't allowed so?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending