Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please be honest Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    , I am currently a year 11 student that has her worry levels rising slightly over board I guess. I want to get a grade 7 in maths GCSE however my teacher said it is kind of impossible due to the fact that I am currently doing foundation for maths however, at the end of year 10 - mock exams I achieved a grade 4 in maths which is equivalent to a grade C and I just believe that if I am guided by maths teachers and am given that opportunity it is possible to get a grade 7 in maths. BAD NEWS - in the recent exam at the start of the year I got a grade 1 I know that's just a fail that kind of shattered a lot of my hopes and dreams. I believe I failed partly due to the fact that I hadn't revised and I was not aware that this exam was going to be literally on the FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL note the emphasis. I think that due to that unexpected test I will not be able to do the higher tier meaning I will not be able to get a grade 7 in maths which is a grade A.

I basically want to go to OXFORD university and with a grade 5 there is o chance of me being accepted due to the fact that it's MATHS!

So ...basically I just wanted the truth...IS IT POSSIBLE FOR ME T GET THAT GRADE 7 IN MATHS OR WILL T JUST REMAIN A REGRET AND A DREAM PLEASE ANSWER WITH AL HONESTY .

Thank You!

PS I do think I sound like a weirdo that is dumb and will not get anywhere in life!

ReputationRep:
    Chances are you will have another set of mocks later on in the year so do you best to prepare for those. Make sure all your class work and homework is completed to the best standard possible at all times. If you can try to find someone willing to tutor you one on one. Complete practice papers to consolidate what you have learnt. If you manage all this and still don't manage to convince your teacher then try to speak to whoever is in charge of Maths at your school. I am a current year 12 student who was failing maths at the beginning of year 11 and was going to be put in to the foundation tier but by putting in the work did in fact get a grade 7 in the end. If I can do it so can you if you put in the work.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    u can, just put the effort into it and use all the resources u got. spend time on ur homework, it actually is a good long term revision technique.

Oxford is definitely ambitious and remember there r plenty of universities that can get u the qualifications for jobs that u want so don't make it a definite aim.

plus u still have the rest of the year to improve and get to do the higher tier test, plus u got a levels/collge courses

ReputationRep:
    I’ve applied to Cambridge and my GCSE’s were medium. A levels are much more important but you do need a pass in gcse maths to do the courses. If you read the specification and do loads of practice then it is possible. Do as many practice papers as you can, starting with foundation until you are very confident. Then practice higher. Anything you don’t understand make sure you learn it before the exam. Aim to be confident in every area of the exam and you should be able to get an A. It’s all down to dedication and diligence.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your other GCSEs aswell, they tend to look for straight A's I believe but you could take a gap year after your a levels and then apply as then your GCSEs will be less relevant

ReputationRep:
    Although mot maths i can relate to you as i had a similar problem in science. All through school i always did very well in science. In year 9 my predicted was something like a '5B' and I actually got a 7 something in my end of year test. Then in year 10 although i cared i never put the effort in and never revised so i got moved onto foundation for our end of year exams, honestly heartbroken as I want to do medicine. So what did i do? I said that if i took higher for my mocks and dont do well i can go onto foundation but if i do well i stay on higher and guess what? I'm now sitting higher for my mocks. I wont lie as someone who sits higher maths you may find it hard as you don't do all the topics and it is a lot harder but if you are willing to put in all the effort then make sure your teachers know and persuade them. Also remember on foundation you need a lot to get high but in higher you need a little to get high, so that 1 might of been a 3 on higher

ReputationRep:
    lol I'm in set two out of seven sets in maths, get vry good in the half term tests. got a 6 in my end of yr 10 paper. set two and one are the ones who are really going to think about the sevens... and especially if your on foundation.... u must be on there for a reason....hate to break it to you, unless you revise and become crazy smart, ur pros gnu na be sitting foudation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyyytaylorr)
    Although mot maths i can relate to you as i had a similar problem in science. All through school i always did very well in science. In year 9 my predicted was something like a '5B' and I actually got a 7 something in my end of year test. Then in year 10 although i cared i never put the effort in and never revised so i got moved onto foundation for our end of year exams, honestly heartbroken as I want to do medicine. So what did i do? I said that if i took higher for my mocks and dont do well i can go onto foundation but if i do well i stay on higher and guess what? I'm now sitting higher for my mocks. I wont lie as someone who sits higher maths you may find it hard as you don't do all the topics and it is a lot harder but if you are willing to put in all the effort then make sure your teachers know and persuade them.

I’d like to make reference to your ending statement, ‘ Also remember on foundation you need a lot to get high but in higher you need a little to get high, so that 1 might of been a 3 on higher‘. This is quite frankly absurd; to appropriate the difficulty of a higher paper (in which the first 3 or 4 questions are the hardest last 3 or 4 in the foundation paper) would be erroneous. False hope and chopt-logic at best. OP take no notice

ReputationRep:
    Oxford cares about GCSEs, Cambridge is more lenient. With a C grade equiv at GCSE level, you probably aren't going to be doing a mathematics / mathematical based course, let's be honest. I went from a C at GCSE to an A, and then took it at A level, but this took a lot of dedication.

You'll come to see it's not the end of the world if you don't get into Oxford. Otherwise be ready to apply for a degree with no mathematics (i.e. social science/humanities) - and if you have crummy GCSEs by A level, apply to Cambridge - don't waste a spot giving it to Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoneroses2828)
    I’d like to make reference to your ending statement, ‘ Also remember on foundation you need a lot to get high but in higher you need a little to get high, so that 1 might of been a 3 on higher‘. This is quite frankly absurd; to appropriate the difficulty of a higher paper (in which the first 3 or 4 questions are the hardest last 3 or 4 in the foundation paper) would be erroneous. False hope and chopt-logic at best. OP take no notice
    Well as I am someone who has sat both its actually the same questions just worded differently

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll need to prove to your teachers that you can take the higher tier paper. When you're revising try to do a past papers in test conditions and ask if your teacher can mark them. That way your teacher can see your dedication and improvements, and give you extra help with topics you consistently struggle with.
    Overall, please try not to overthink it as you'll end up worrying more than revising x

ReputationRep:
    Well you can only get a 4 in foundation so you'll have to do higher tier intead

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is possible. I was working at grade 4’s in year 11 but came out with an 8 in the real thing.

Possibly try to do better in your next mocks and if you get a 4 or 5 I would beg the teacher to change to higher. They may make you possibly do the higher papers so revise the higher stuff before you ask.

ReputationRep:
    First of all... TALK TO YOUR TEACHERS, they want their students to do well and if you want to get those top scores, they should help you get there! you're going to have to put the work in but i definetely think its possible x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyyytaylorr)
    Well as I am someone who has sat both its actually the same questions just worded differently
    And I’m someone who has sat both in his spare time, as well as seen the foundation test for this year. They are nowhere near the same level of difficulty; maths assesses your problem solving skills- not your English skills, to say that the foundation paper is a maths paper more accessible to people who are bad at reading questions would be absurd, it’s because they’re mathematically challenged

ReputationRep:
    it is possible! i have done something similar although was on the old system but i went 4 years on foundation maths and after getting a C (equal to a 4 or 5) i went on and revised for six months in school with a great teacher and raised my grade up to just below an A with a high B which wasn't bad considering everyone else has 5 years to cover most of it. anyway even if you don't get the grade you can mention in your ucas personal statement about it and they could still consider you if everything else is good. and anyway i'm sure you can get the math grade 7 just do revision at home as well, as i didn't and could've gotten higher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoneroses2828)
    And I’m someone who has sat both in his spare time, as well as seen the foundation test for this year. They are nowhere near the same level of difficulty; maths assesses your problem solving skills- not your English skills, to say that the foundation paper is a maths paper more accessible to people who are bad at reading questions would be absurd, it’s because they’re mathematically challenged
    Calm down

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.