Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is being a virgin a bad thing? Watch

• View Poll Results: What should my next move be?
    Move Queen to G3
    80.00%
    Get out there
    20.00%

ReputationRep:
    I have only been in one serious relationship, and the furthest we got was second base. After we broke up, she started seeing someone else straight away. I have the feeling it was me that screwed everything up. I have tried using those new fangled dating apps, but to no avail. Any ideas as to getting back out there onto the dating scene? (bear in mind 18 first year at university)

ReputationRep:
    honestly, nobody actually cares about if you've ever had sex before. And if they do, then don't talk to them because they don't deserve your time. Also, bonus points for 'new fangled' - LAV IT

ReputationRep:
    First of all , don’t fret !

You’re in a great position in your first year of uni , there’s lots of new people to meet and make friends with. People in halls , lectures , societies.

Putting yourself out there is hard but a kind of ‘learn as you go’ sort of thing , so don’t be downhearted it the first potential conquest doesn’t work out , it’s still progress and a learning curve !
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Answering your question, no. Being a virgin is not a bad thing. Trust me when I say this but many people regret losing their virginity at a young age and wish they had waited. As for dating, there should be plenty of people at your university of hangout with and just interact with girls and talk to them. You will find someone who has similar interests to you or you might find someone interesting. From there, just ask them out if they wanna study with you or hangout at the coffee shop etc.

ReputationRep:
    In response to the title, I don't think its a bad thing. At least it better not be, seeing as I am also 18 and a virgin. lol.

And dude, you're at university, there are plenty of girls you can meet, talk to and possibly date.

ReputationRep:
    awh thanks guys, I am very shy, but do you think girls will like a well-built 6"4 gentleman?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is a virgin ... until they aren't

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty I'd class it more as a good thing because it means you take these type of things seriously and therefore it'll mean more to you when that time is right.

I think the best advice to give you is to just be yourself, people will then love you for you and then you can't go wrong. There is no one like you which makes you quite unique and special, I wouldn't waste that trying to be something that you're not. You'll find your match within time, even if it takes longer than you expect it to - you'd rather meet the right one than the wrong one quickly. Be confident with yourself and then that confidence will show to others - when you are proud and love yourself for you is when you'll start meeting the people that see that and therefore respect you.

ReputationRep:
    Who wouldn't?

(Original post by Shelduck99)
    awh thanks guys, I am very shy, but do you think girls will like a well-built 6"4 gentleman?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunset891)
    Who wouldn't?
    apparently, my ex doesn't
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't get the poll but okay...

Virginity isn't a big deal to a lot of people. Lost mine at 23, lose it when you're ready.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelduck99)
    I have only been in one serious relationship, and the furthest we got was second base. After we broke up, she started seeing someone else straight away. I have the feeling it was me that screwed everything up. I have tried using those new fangled dating apps, but to no avail. Any ideas as to getting back out there onto the dating scene? (bear in mind 18 first year at university)
    Depends. Are you desperately trying to offer it to anyone who'll take it? If so then yes because it's causing you to be real insecure about it and act like a pen!s. If you're waiting to lose it because you aren't that bothered or you want it to be with the right person then no. I was never someone who had a lot of girlfriends - kind of played around with the idea at 15/16 but didn't have a serious relationship until 18. Excepting one bad choice, the few I've had have lasted ages because its been with people I care about and who care about me - so to me taking it slow was hugely positive and made me optimistic for the future which led to losing it under my own steam with someone I wanted to.

The F**k is second base anyway? I never understood those classifications. If you screwed up then you screwed up. Move on, try again. She might be on a rebound, or as much as it hurts to say might have grown close to that person during your relationship which caused her to move on. Let go of it - time to stop giving a sh!t about her and what she does, and to live your own life. Dating apps are rubbish, most particularly at uni are for pump and dump. Few serious long term prospects (anecdotally, don't use them myself tbh).

Yeah - go out and meet people. Join societies, join clubs, get a job, do stuff where people are and funnily enough you might find a person you like. My gf is from work, just the requirement to earn money put me in a relationship so with the amount of opportunities you have as a first year student it should be easy. Also don't worry too much - if you find someone, great if not then it doesn't matter. You're 18. Plenty of time left on the clock.

ReputationRep:
    why on earth would it be a bad thing? everyone starts off as one
    and actual mature, normal human beings know that its a personal thing, therefore do it when YOU are ready, not when the world tells you to do it.
    some people never lose their virginity. so what? their choice

I'm a month or so into my final year of Uni, currently 21, and so far I've had no opportunity to lose my virginity. It used to bother me but honestly right now I'm just going to wait until after I graduate to find someone. I'm not waiting until marriage (I find that ideology stupid) but it's been this long that I might as well let it happen after graduation.

ReputationRep:
    I lost my virginity at 28 pathetic I know but you know what part me regrets that because it was with the wrong person. I kind of knew it at the time to but didn't want to go on been a virgin. I have not had sex since. Though have a feeling that may change soon as doing well with a girl.

I am a very open person and because of this people are often very open with me to. At my uni a lot of guys are virgins probably most of them. Just they don't like admitting it I'm sure this is relatively normal.

I guess if you lose your virginity at 28 and then at 32 it's your only experience then that's bad and you might have a problem. Like in my situation. However seriously been a virgin at 18 doesn't mean anything.

My advice would be put yourself out there and just let things happen.

ReputationRep:
    of course it isn't..

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it would be pretty embarrassing if you lost it after the age of 20.

ReputationRep:
    It didn't do Mary any harm.

ReputationRep:
    How do you even add a poll to a question lol?

ReputationRep:
    What is up with the poll?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.