Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

You know disabilities advisers, why do they give crap course options?

I feel like I am nothing except special needs to them, and that's all I am too all colleges special needs person, that all I am is money to them?

Why do disabilities advisers do nothing accept piss me off?

Why do they give crap course offers?

Why do they try to trick me into doing something I dont want to do?

They block me and lie to me telling me no do this course, which I know is going to be simple like independent living, which is rubbish?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

I feel like I am nothing except special needs to them, and that's all I am too all colleges special needs person, that all I am is money to them?

They block me and lie to me telling me no do this course, which I know is going to be simple like independent living, which is rubbish?
    Some are much better than others I assure you.:yes:

Can you give an example of where they've tried to "trick" you?

ReputationRep:

Out of all college and unis I've been too I have to say Open University is the best for student support. If I have a question I can email my tutor direct and its answered 9am the following morning.

ReputationRep:
    Are you due to start university next year, and are looking for advice on which course to take? I ask this as you mention course options. Are they the best people to advise on courses and whether they are suitable with your disability? Is there a course info adviser or department you could speak to? Apologies if I have got the wrong end of the stick.

How have they tried to trick you into doing something you don't want to? A bit of context would help.

There are plenty of excellent disability advisers. Going in to your meetings or phone calls with a negative attitude won't help. Do you have an idea of what you want to study? Have you thought how your studies might be affected by your disability? These are good starting points at the very least.

ReputationRep:

I have had this with my grandson who is 18 now. He has some health issues and is a bit slow. I am his legal guardian and when he wanted to go to college, he was desperate to do Media and Animation. The college tried to get him to go in with the Special Needs but he didn't want to. He didn't need to learn how to live independently as he can cook, clean, handle money and all the other stuff they do on the 'Foundation Year' in college as they call it. So I said no to it. I spoke to the Tutor who ran Media and Animation and he agreed to give him a go and he did and he is top of his year. You yourself know what is best for you and what you are capable of so just keep at them and tell them what you want and not what they think is best for you.X

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.