Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been talking to this girl on snapchat and we really hit it off and I think we really like each other. The only thing is, I'm almost 17 and she's almost 15. I already told her that I think the age difference might be a bit too much considering we're teens but I don't know if that was the right thing to do. She told me we could have dated and now I feel like an idiot. Did I make the right decision or is the age difference okay?

When I was 15 I dated 18/19 year old boys, I don't think it's a big deal just don't have sex until she's 16

ReputationRep:
    In a years time you'll be illegal

ReputationRep:
    well me and my ex had the same age difference except i was 17 and he was 19 so i guess when youre older its more acceptable but in the end its all up to you. if you really like this girl age shouldnt matter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by throwaway2845)
    I've been talking to this girl on snapchat and we really hit it off and I think we really like each other. The only thing is, I'm almost 17 and she's almost 15. I already told her that I think the age difference might be a bit too much considering we're teens but I don't know if that was the right thing to do. She told me we could have dated and now I feel like an idiot. Did I make the right decision or is the age difference okay?

so you are 16 and she is 14

2 years doesn't seem a big age gap to me. and girls mature a couple of years faster than boys anyway mentally

some people will not like the gap though as she is underage..........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    so you are 16 and she is 14

2 years doesn't seem a big age gap to me. and girls mature a couple of years faster than boys anyway mentally

some people will not like the gap though as she is underage..........
    That's exactly my issue, the fact that she's underage might be difficult to deal with so I'm really not sure what to do

(Original post by throwaway2845)
    That's exactly my issue, the fact that she's underage might be difficult to deal with so I'm really not sure what to do
    But if it's online keep it casual and just have general conversations and see if you are still interested later and from them once the age difference seems more comfortable then see how you want to take things
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    The only issue will be if you decide to take the next step in which case she will be a minor. So, be careful but otherwise you should be good Go with it.

ReputationRep:
    It's a weird dilemma. There's a 3 yr gap between me and my gf but we are both over 18 so nobody cares, but a 2 yr gap here and everyone loses their minds as to whether its ok. Sixteen to fourteen is quite the maturity gap - you've just hit the 'young adult' kind of stage where you understand yourself better etc and she hasnt - BUT women do mature quicker than men so it might not be as significant as it sounds.

Legally I am too lazy to look it up but I THINK that provided you don't have sex or send sexual pictures etc etc then it's not actually illegal to have the relationship as you're both under 18 but I don't know the law regarding sexual contact and am too scared to look it up in case I end up on a watchlist - and when you're 18 she'll be 16 and therefore able to legally take part in sexual activity.

The TL;DR is if you feel like your maturity levels and interests match then I don't personally see a problem with it given the way your ages are basically in tandem through the stages of development, legally and otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    When I was 15 I dated 18/19 year old boys, I don't think it's a big deal just don't have sex until she's 16
    Legit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GonvilleBromhead)
    but I don't know the law regarding sexual contact and am too scared to look it up in case I end up on a watchlist - and when you're 18 she'll be 16 and therefore able to legally take part in sexual activity.

lmao, reminds me of one time in one of these debates I wanted to look something up, but I kept thinking to myself I don't want to be flagged up on some system, ...and I was too lazy to fire up my VPN [takes ages as i'm a free member] so I ended up just not looking it up

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.