Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Politics: Do you support Brexit or are you a remainer? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I support Brexit, what do you guys support? (Please be nice to each other)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I support remain because in case the reassessment of British finances the other week didn't prove it for anyone, we are/were not financially stable enough for such a step. Also because I think it was one of the most misinformed votes britains ever had. The people weren't an informed democracy and thus it should have been delayed until an informed vote could have been undertaken.

ReputationRep:
    Remain... this Brexit nonsense is just a plot engineered by Putin & his cronies over here to destroy our nation.

ReputationRep:
    I must admit I have no idea whether remaining or leaving was the right option. If we look at the history of the EU including the ERM and Eurozone it would suggest Brexit was the correct decision, but the punishment we may receive from the EU for leaving may be worse than the amount we'll gain by losing the burden of taxation. Also, WTO tariffs will not quickly be implemented across Europe it will take years of negotiation to form new deals. The UK relies on the EU for 47% of its market, while the EU relies on the UK for just 15%. Brexit may have been the correct decision, however, I think we will only see its benefit in 20+ years, which makes me question whether it was truly worth it, when the EU has provided us 50+ years of general prosperity in which we were a top 5 economic power in the world. The clear benefit is the loss of pooled sovereignty as well as democratisation, but I'd prefer economic prosperity to this. Overall, I think know-one truly knows the best decision.

ReputationRep:
    Its only since this country has voted to leave the EU that the more naive amongst us has suddenly discovered what the rest of Europe really thinks about the UK.

I don't like their attitude , I don't like being governed by foreigners , and I don't like some of the Black mail tactics that they seem to be using in order to get what's best for them .

Angela Merkel and Macron deserve one another ....infact they should marry . I've heard he prefers the older type so it should be a marriage made in heaven .

Rule Britannia ...and stick to two fingers up to them .

Johnny English

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thalamic)
    I support remain because in case the reassessment of British finances the other week didn't prove it for anyone, we are/were not financially stable enough for such a step. Also because I think it was one of the most misinformed votes britains ever had. The people weren't an informed democracy and thus it should have been delayed until an informed vote could have been undertaken.
    Do you even know what that rearrangement even means?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Do you even know what that rearrangement even means?
    It means we have less money than people thought which reduces confidence in the financial stability of the country. Companies don't invest in unstable times which puts pressure on the economy which eventually makes our lives less fun.
    But if I've got that wrong by all means re-educate me I'm no economics student.

ReputationRep:
    It means we have less money than people thought which reduces confidence in the financial stability of the country. Companies don't invest in unstable times which puts pressure on the economy which eventually makes our lives less fun.
    But if I've got that wrong by all means re-educate me I'm no economics student.
    I think this should make things clearer in your mind

https://blog.ons.gov.uk/2017/10/23/h...-gone-missing/
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Originally, remain; but acknowledge the so-called 'will of the people'.

I just want people to get on with it, and get the best deal for Britain outside the EU now.

ReputationRep:
    I think this should make things clearer in your mind

https://blog.ons.gov.uk/2017/10/23/h...-gone-missing/
    All that article has done is cement in my mind my decision, it is still down to if you measure a country's financial security by investment potential or GDP etc. Also the article being written by the very company that made the mistake in the first place means it's information is to be taken with bias in consideration. At the end of the day this has created more uncertainty and investors do not like uncertainty. We all have opinions mate, let's agree to disagree.🤔

ReputationRep:
    All that article has done is cement in my mind my decision, it is still down to if you measure a country's financial security by investment potential or GDP etc. Also the article being written by the very company that made the mistake in the first place means it's information is to be taken with bias in consideration. At the end of the day this has created more uncertainty and investors do not like uncertainty. We all have opinions mate, let's agree to disagree.🤔
    Perhaps you didn’t understand it? Never mind though as you say we can have different opinions.

It’s refreshing to see a comment that isn’t just an attack of the opposing view on eu matters these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaFuenteBlanca)
    you voted leave i hope you get cancer you ****
    Grow up

ReputationRep:
    Grow up
    kys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaFuenteBlanca)
    kys
    Dare I ask what does kys even mean?

ReputationRep:
    Neither.

I dont like the EU but I am also not foolish or naieve that the UK government is any better or thatthe fundamentals of neo-liberal capitalism that is at the core of both institutions was going to change whether Britain is in or out.

ReputationRep:
    Was passionately remain (and voted so) now firmly leave.

Perhaps one of the biggest drivers for me voting remain was the incredible number of batshit views the pro leave people have. What I’m seeing now though is that it’s just as bad on the remain side too. Some pro EU family members have literally turned fascist against leave voters which quite shocked me to be honest. (I go think the ‘left’ has hijacked this as a stick to beat the Tories with though.)

I do not believe for a second we’ll be economically better off outside the EU (though not that much worse off either) I think a lot if the stuff posted about the EU is nonsensical and wilfully misleading- as evidenced eg by Boris Johnson getting torn apart at a select committee for instance.

I do think, if we start getting s grip on our borders and other measures we might be more secure in ourselves and our country. Looking at Germany and France where the Front nationale and Afd are in opposition this may well be a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Was passionately remain (and voted so) now firmly leave.
    Perhaps one of the biggest drivers for me voting remain was the incredible number of batshit views the pro leave people have. What I’m seeing now though is that it’s just as bad on the remain side too. Some pro EU family members have literally turned fascist against leave voters which quite shocked me to be honest. (I go think the ‘left’ has hijacked this as a stick to beat the Tories with though.)
    This seems like such an odd reason to switch sides. If you believe there is an object reality where leaving the EU is bad for the country, regardless of the all the ******** noise from either side, I dunno why you would let that influence things. The reason I let the ******** of the Leave side influence me was that because it was likely these xenophobic *******s would be running the show when we left which seemed like a terrible idea. Que Farage's awful "no shots fired" speech on the night of the referendum. If remain had won things would have just carried on as normal which seemed like the much better conservative option given the options on offer. It wasn't like we were going to join the euro or I was going to get drafted into an EU army if we left. Now we have flipping Jacob Reese Mog as a potential future PM. Although on the plus side due to Brexit chaos we also have Jeremey Corbyn as a potential PM. Swings and roundabouts. I doubt that would be a thing if Remain had won. Of course it all hinged on whether Brexit really does screw us over or not. It's all well and good having a Labour government, but it can't do much if the economy is tanking due to Brexit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Remain... this Brexit nonsense is just a plot engineered by Putin & his cronies over here to destroy our nation.
    Don't worry Harry Potter is here to save the day.

Name:  Potter-Keyart-WWoHP-802x535.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  181.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    This seems like such an odd reason to switch sides. If you believe there is an object reality where leaving the EU is bad for the country, regardless of the all the ******** noise from either side, I dunno why you would let that influence things. The reason I let the ******** of the Leave side influence me was that because it was likely these xenophobic *******s would be running the show when we left which seemed like a terrible idea. Que Farage's awful "no shots fired" speech on the night of the referendum. If remain had won things would have just carried on as normal which seemed like the much better conservative option given the options on offer. It wasn't like we were going to join the euro or I was going to get drafted into an EU army if we left. Now we have flipping Jacob Reese Mog as a potential future PM. Although on the plus side due to Brexit chaos we also have Jeremey Corbyn as a potential PM. Swings and roundabouts. I doubt that would be a thing if Remain had won. Of course it all hinged on whether Brexit really does screw us over or not. It's all well and good having a Labour government, but it can't do much if the economy is tanking due to Brexit.
    Well no something has changed in our objective reality, that being the brexit vote in which leave won and this being accepted and triggered in Parliament. I find the consequences of ignoring this to be far more dangerous and unpleasant than I think leaving the EU may be. It s not even a belief in democracy really it’s that I think our politicians should be held to account.

ReputationRep:
    I support leave. I want us to be able to control our borders and choose which EU immigrants we let in. I also want us to have more sovereignty. If the EU was purely an economic free trade agreement that would be good but it's also becoming an ever closer political union and its full of bureaucrats

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.