Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. So I applied for my maintenance loan months and months ago but it has only just been approved due to various things.

I’ve checked my entitlement summary and have not been awarded the higher amount of loan only the basic

My problem is I believe I’m eligible for the higher amount because for 1 I am a parent of an 8 month old and 2 my household income is less that 15k per year

This has left me a bit confused now as I was relying on that higher maintenance and just over 1 grand a term when you have an 8 month old child is pretty much chump change.

Does anyone know why I might not have been approved for the higher amount when I tick all the boxes for eligibility

As well as that my parenting allowance also hasn’t been awarded.....
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamiemaria)
    Hi. So I applied for my maintenance loan months and months ago but it has only just been approved due to various things.

I’ve checked my entitlement summary and have not been awarded the higher amount of loan only the basic

My problem is I believe I’m eligible for the higher amount because for 1 I am a parent of an 8 month old and 2 my household income is less that 15k per year

This has left me a bit confused now as I was relying on that higher maintenance and just over 1 grand a term when you have an 8 month old child is pretty much chump change.

Does anyone know why I might not have been approved for the higher amount when I tick all the boxes for eligibility

Have you provided all the evidence they've asked for? if you've applied late, they tend to give you the basic amount and then reassess you for the higher loans.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! All that they asked for was birth certificate and tax credit award letter which id sent. I didn’t apply late, there was a problem with my identity check so had to send another which they then lost and then they going again
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:

Hi Jamiemaria,

If the assessors have requested additional information from you, that needs to be processed before you can be assessed for the maximum support, what they sometimes do, as the academic year approaches, is to award you the basic support.

This is to make sure that you have some money and that your tuition fee is paid, then when you supply the evidence requested and it is processed, you can be confident any additional support will be put in place and back dated.

Can you advise me what the most recent evidence is that you sent and when we would have received it ?

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I rung student finance this morning to find out what was missing and apparently I need to send in a single status declaration and then wait a further 26 days to be reassessed However I’m not sure how I would get a hold of one of these or if there is anything I can send in place of

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jamiemaria,

For evidence of your single status to confirm you are living alone the evidence required would depend on your circumstances. If you are divorced we would need a copy of your Decree Absolute. If you are married but separated and have started divorce proceedings we can accept a copy of a Decree Nisi. If you are not/have never been married and you are separated from your previous partner then we can accept a copy of a recent Council Tax Bill showing either of the following discounts:-

* 25% Single Occupancy Discount
    * 18-20 Still in Education
    * Single Person Discount
    * Sole Occupier Discount
    * Only one adult resident

The Council Tax bill can also be used to confirm marital status if you don't have a Decree Absolute/Nisi.

If you aren't able to provide the appropriate Council Tax bill then we can look to accept a solicitors letter confirming separation or a Signed Affidavit (a sworn declaration you make in writing describing facts that they wish to state as true). You typically make an Affidavit under oath and sign it and have it stamped by a Solicitor or you could obtain a Statutory declaration from a solicitor.

There would be a cost involved to obtain any evidence from a Solicitor but this type of evidence is guaranteed to be accepted. If you are unable to get this you could try to send in non-standard evidence such as:-
    • Tenancy agreement or mortgage statement in your own name only
    • 2 utility bills in your own name only dated within the last 6 months
    • Current council tax bill

You would need to send in a cover letter explaining the reasons why you are unable to provide the standard evidence noted above. You should attach any other evidence you feel will support the change in status.

We are currently taking 21 working days to process this type of evidence.

Thanks

Laura

ReputationRep:
    Can I send an updated tax credits letter that has just me on it as evidence? Also how long after sending my declaration will I get my first payment

ReputationRep:
    Can I send an updated tax credits letter that has just me on it as evidence? Also how long after sending my declaration will I get my first payment
    Hi Jamiemaria,

We are unable to accept Tax Credits Award letters as evidence of marital status. Have a check through Laura's post for acceptable evidence.

Assuming your declaration is the last thing we need (ie. we've processed your marital status evidence & your application is fully approved, we have a valid National Insurance number and the university/college has confirmed your registration) once it's processed then your payment would be released and clear in your bank account within 3-5 working days.

Regards,

Stuart

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.