Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

can anyone help me figure these questions out, i'm lost

thanks

Question 7 (1.7)

a) If we take a 1gm sample of CO6027, which has a half-life of approximately 5 years, how much of it would remain after 5 years?

b) Will this sample be only half as radioactive after 5 years? Explain your answer.

Question 8 (1.8)

a) Which form of ionising radiation is emitted from the following reaction?

CO6027 CO6027 + ....................

b) When a U23892 atom emits an alpha particle, it decays to form an atom of which new element?

ReputationRep:
    Question 7:

A. 1 gram of substance. Half life is 5 years. After 5 years 0.5 grams remains.
    B. The activity of a radioactive sample is proportional to the amount of sample remaining. Considering equations to do with count rate, my feeling is that it will not be half however i cannot say for sure.

Question 8

A. I am struggling to understand what CO6027 is. Could u clarify?

B. Alpha particle is identical to a helium nucleus. Mass number is 4, proton number is 2.
    If an alpha particle is lost then the mass number decreases by 4 and the proton number decreases by 2. Then u can use a periodic table to work out the element.
    (Original post by riyazk)
    Hi

can anyone help me figure these questions out, i'm lost

thanks

Question 7 (1.7)

a) If we take a 1gm sample of CO6027, which has a half-life of approximately 5 years, how much of it would remain after 5 years?

b) Will this sample be only half as radioactive after 5 years? Explain your answer.

Question 8 (1.8)

a) Which form of ionising radiation is emitted from the following reaction?

CO6027 CO6027 + ....................

b) When a U23892 atom emits an alpha particle, it decays to form an atom of which new element?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaanv)
    Question 7:

B. The activity of a radioactive sample is proportional to the amount of sample remaining. Considering equations to do with count rate, my feeling is that it will not be half however i cannot say for sure.

Question 8

B. Alpha particle is identical to a helium nucleus. Mass number is 4, proton number is 2.
    If an alpha particle is lost then the mass number decreases by 4 and the proton number decreases by 2. Then u can use a periodic table to work out the element.
    it's cobalt 60 (nucleon number 60, proton number 27) - I guess TSR has mangled the super and subscripts the OP was trying to copy and paste in.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your help!!!

Question 8 part a
    it's cobalt 60 (nucleon number 60, proton number 27)

(Original post by Shaanv)
    Question 7:

Question 8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riyazk)
    thanks for your help!!!

Question 8 part a
    it's cobalt 60 (nucleon number 60, proton number 27)

For 7B i believe the activity of the radioactive sample will half as the number of atoms of the substance halves due to the count rate and activity equations.

For 8A i am still unsure of ur question. I think it means which ionising radiation is released from cobalt provided that its mass number and proton number remains the same. If so then the only possible ionising radiation is gamma, as the mass and proton number remain the same.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.