Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best way to cram revision? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, we have mocks in November and the school keeps stressing how important they are as they inform colleges of our predicted grades however we were only given the timetables this last week and the mock week starts from the 13th of November. I have lots of subjects to revise for so any tips on the best way to cram revision efficiently?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exo9)
    So, we have mocks in November and the school keeps stressing how important they are as they inform colleges of our predicted grades however we were only given the timetables this last week and the mock week starts from the 13th of November. I have lots of subjects to revise for so any tips on the best way to cram revision efficiently?
    wake up at 4am-revise until the exam easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angrypoliceman)
    wake up at 4am-revise until the exam easy
    What time do I sleep then?
    Ah. If only it was this easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exo9)
    What time do I sleep then?
    Ah. If only it was this easy.
    normal time you go to sleep
    this is where you ask yourself, do I really need to cram for this exam?

ReputationRep:
    The advice I’ve been given by multiple teachers/things I’m finding helpful are:
    •Revise for a certain amount of time (eg 2 hours) each day leading up, doesn’t have to be consecutive hours, but find time each day
    •Make note cards that you can keep on your desk at home, by your bed or in the car to get small notes or equations in your head
    •Make yourself a timetable of revision to help plan your day and makes it somewhat easier to ‘get on with it’

ReputationRep:
    normal time you go to sleep
    this is where you ask yourself, do I really need to cram for this exam?
    So...you are saying decide between sleep deprivation or failing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exo9)
    So...you are saying decide between sleep deprivation or failing?
    yep, because realistically its between sleep deprivation and a bad grade on a mock-I know which one 99% of people pick

ReputationRep:
    yep, because realistically its between sleep deprivation and a bad grade on a mock-I know which one 99% of people pick
    What did you pick?
    But if it comes down to that isn't it coming down to health vs education? What a topic of discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimeekh)
    The advice I’ve been given by multiple teachers/things I’m finding helpful are:
    •Revise for a certain amount of time (eg 2 hours) each day leading up, doesn’t have to be consecutive hours, but find time each day
    •Make note cards that you can keep on your desk at home, by your bed or in the car to get small notes or equations in your head
    •Make yourself a timetable of revision to help plan your day and makes it somewhat easier to ‘get on with it’
    Thank you 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exo9)
    What did you pick?
    But if it comes down to that isn't it coming down to health vs education? What a topic of discussion.
    I remember getting a U in my mocks, A in the real exams-take a guess

ReputationRep:
    No problem

ReputationRep:
    I remember getting a U in my mocks, A in the real exams-take a guess
    That's great improvement.
    Weren't your mock results on your college application?
    We are getting college offers based on our mocks so I can't afford to fail but I also have chronic migraines so I need sleep as well.
    Oh well, I'll have to manage some way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exo9)
    man, I just re-read this. you have mocks in NOVEMBER. this is not cramming sir/maam

ReputationRep:
    man, I just re-read this. you have mocks in NOVEMBER. this is not cramming sir/maam
    Eh?

ReputationRep:
    Just keep writing out your notes and then rewriting them without looking
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You’ve got three weeks, that’s plenty of time for something of A-level difficulty. You don’t need to cram at all. Have fun for two weeks, then work no longer than feels comfortable and just blitz through past papers in an infinite loop until mock day.

Every year I learn 8 university modules from scratch in about three weeks by simply writing out the lecture notes over and over. You’ll be fine.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarred)
    You’ve got three weeks, that’s plenty of time for something of A-level difficulty. You don’t need to cram at all. Have fun for two weeks, then work no longer than feels comfortable and just blitz through past papers in an infinite loop until mock day.

Every year I learn 8 university modules from scratch in about three weeks by simply writing out the lecture notes over and over. You’ll be fine.
    What are you studying now at university?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Water)
    What are you studying now at university?
    Computer Science at Warwick.

Realised I meant 6 modules rather than 8 because I forgot the disso that takes two slots! Still, I had projects all through the year so used the lectures as structured project time. Meant I didn’t take much in from around week 5 term 1 and knew little about the module contents. Three weeks of 14 hour library stints of learning the year almost from scratch did the trick. Same happened before hand too. Got top of the class in my first two years so something works!

This is never necessary nor is it healthy for A-level though.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarred)
    Computer Science at Warwick.

Realised I meant 6 modules rather than 8 because I forgot the disso that takes two slots! Still, I had projects all through the year so used the lectures as structured project time. Meant I didn’t take much in from around week 5 term 1 and knew little about the module contents. Three weeks of 14 hour library stints of learning the year almost from scratch did the trick. Same happened before hand too. Got top of the class in my first two years so something works!

This is never necessary nor is it healthy for A-level though.
    Oh right. How are you finding it? Generally, I've learned to not leave all of your work till the last minute as it gets pretty bad then. Same thing applied for revision, you'd rather do some as you go along and not leave everything like a week before. Some people actually prefer this for some strange reason.

Doesn't the majority of Computer Science work consist of coursework and then some of it is exams?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah as was said earlier, this is more than enough time to work without cramming. Just revise like normal- only an hour or so per subject and maybe just 4 hours per day. Nothing too big and you should be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.